View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Troy, I don't have any specific info on racing, only mini-racing as a concept.

I used to import and race pocket bikes. Not the shitty Asian things - real mini GP racing bikes (think 2-wheel analog to shifter kart racing). These things were carbon fiber, billet aluminum, trellis framed hand made works of miniaturized motor art, made by private Italian racing families, aftermarket parts manufacturers, and racing teams...some costing upwards of $3800.

I learned something messing with these little evil two-strokes from hell. Actually, I learned a lot of shit. Throttle control, for one. Nothing will loop faster than an open class pocket. Balance, for another.

Remember: You have effectively a shorter lever with a smaller bike. The balance point is close, and the bike is many times more reactive. You can balance a broom on your hand, right? How about a pencil? No. Why? Shorter lever, goes over center faster, and thus "telegraphs" its motion less, thus you have less time to compensate with balance.

When you get back on the big bike, it feels like slow motion - the bike can do no wrong, can't surprise you...it's totally slow-mo.

What I'm saying is; There is no shame in racing minis. Yes, they may look a little dorky, but the costs are far less than full-sized racing, placing it more in the budget of the average person being able to really afford it over time, when one can really improve their skills...and the thrills and challenges aren't any less, they're actually more.

I presume mini-motard is no different, and is a fucking scream.

Keeping the more extreme riding to just the track is always just good sense.

Last edited by Avatard; 09-15-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote