View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I drove a cucv in the Army. it was geared for shit. as in highway gears. 3.73 maybe 4.11's rode around at 70 easy. yes it got wheeled. everytime we took it out we "drove" it. maintainance was done by the driver except major issues. Mine never had a major issue.
Do they get driven hard? absolutely. are they maintained? absolutely. thing gets everything it needs and then some. my heat worked fine. no ac or radio though.
would I buy one? in a minute. would i buy one for 4200? not on your life. they usually have very little to no rust, and usually go for around 3 grand. look around you can find them everywhere for 3 grand or less.
watch out for the ones that were purchased and then screwed up by folks who knew nothing about vehicles.
also a BIG thing to check into. make sure your state allows it to be registered for street use. Wisconsin just passed a law that vehicles that were not originally registered for street use cannot be registered for street. guys with old mil trucks are less then happy.

to illustrate the "driving" I was the first person in my unit to stick a hmmv. it took 3 feet of water and 2 feet of mud but it was stuck!! never did run the same.
put a jeep in so deep it took a 5 ton wrecker to get it out. then there was the time we fell through the ice.....
I was a howitzer driver too. LOL at least I wasn't the one who put the gun tube through fritz's bedroom.....
don't expect it to have been babied through life. some are, but most are driven and used as trucks should be.

worst part about mil vehicles is the pirated parts. make sure to check it over for missing items. although the cucv's were just gotten rid of as a whole so most went out intact.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote