Thread: Passing rules
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

I am hoping to come down to Tally and wave flags for Elite at the end of the month with a friend of mine who did some corner work last year.

I've ridden with NESBA, STT, PTT, Ed Bargy Racing School, and Reg Pridmore CLASS.

All of them have slight variations on the rules, but the rules are there for safety. I've seen a guy get a helicopter ride out of Barber, seen ambulances haul people away too. I don't want to be one of them.

I remind myself that the point of a track day is to have fun and work on skills....not to be the fastest guy on the track or set the track record lap time. There are no trophies at the end of a track day.

If I get behind someone who is a "parker".....wide open in the straights and parks it in the corner....and I can't safely pass him. I'll simply ride through hot pit.

Having ridden in novice, intermediate, and advanced groups....I can tell you that I feel the advanced group is the safer group. I'm typically mid pack in the intermediate group, and one of the slower guys (if not the slowest) in the advanced group, but I feel safer riding with the more advanced riders.

I like the idea of riders having to be evaluated before they are allowed to bump up. If you're a good, safe, smooth rider, you don't need to be fast to ride in the advanced group. As long as you hold your line and don't do anything stupid (and don't get spooked by close passes), then that's the best place to be. But if you're all over the place, running wide in the turns, not running a consistent line, etc.....even if you're fast as hell....things happen REAL fast at 100+mph. Best not to be the cause of someone riding the helicopter.
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote