Thread: Any BMW owners?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #25
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.
I guess my argument is.. For a few thousand more I could have a nice, fully loaded, german sedan. The 4 banger ranger is a gas pig as well, sure it has a bed, but that's about as much as an advantage as it has. Highway for the ranger is only 24mpg (brand new), compared to the 21 of the BMW. I also looked at full sized F150's. But again, it has a bed, other then that it's just a big ass truck. I can find a hitch online for about $200 for the 5 series, and I can install it myself.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote