View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
They are.

I've read reports that it's worse than Chernobyl at a greater distance.
Not sure what the levels are now, but these reports were late June I think.

Quote:
Recent readings taken roughly 19 miles out to sea from the Fukushima nuclear power facility in Japan have revealed radioisotope levels ten times higher than those measured in the Baltic and Black Seas after the massive Chernobyl disaster. Because Fukushima is much closer to water than the Chernobyl plant is, the ongoing fallout there is shaping up to be far worse than Chernobyl. "Given that the Fukushima nuclear power plant is on the ocean, and with leaks and runoff directly to the ocean, the impacts on the ocean will exceed those of Chernobyl, which was hundreds of miles from any sea.
Quote:
In contrast, distinguished nuclear expert Helen Caldicott called Fukushima an unprecedented "absolute disaster," multiples worse than Chernobyl. Only one (Chernobyl) reactor blew, and it was only three months old with relatively little radiation. (Fukushima's) have been operating for 40 years, and would hold about 30 times more radiation than Chernobyl.
Quote:
"Dangerous levels of radioactive iodine and cesium have already contaminated the sea, the soil, groundwater, and the air. This week plutonium was detected for the first time outside the stricken plant, and Strontium-90, known as a bone seeker because it can cause bone cancer and Leukemia, has now been found as far away as 60 kilometers (37+ miles) from the facility.
Fuck that shit. Trip, I know you are all knowledgable and versed in this stuff, but thats scary.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 08-20-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote