View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Audiomechanic
Mobile Post-Whore Unit

Moto: 2000 Honda Magna 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You'll tear through that paint like a fat kid through a bag of Oreos if you use an angle grinder.

Get an orbital buffer... they work really well... and you can get a cheap one for like $20.
Understood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Just be sure to clean the surface really good beforehand (clay bar preferred), then take your time with a quality polish...
Gotcha. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscort View Post
the difference between a buffer and an angle grinder is the speed. i usually run my buffer at 2400 rpms, a little on the fast side. an angle ginder is around 7-8000 rpm. major difference.

actually if your just buffing spots and not a whole bedside, one of those powerball things would work w/ the drill. get something like meguires polish/cleaner. use medium pressure at first, working to light pressure to polish to a shine. other wise they sell cheap buffer polishers, they run on the low rpm side but still get the job done. just stay away from the paste rubbing compounds, they have a pretty harse scratch thats hard to get rid of.
Uh.....yea....that IS a little bit of a difference. Well, the whole truck pretty well needs it. There's a few spots where the clear coat has turned white and rough. It's got little scratches in the clear coat pretty much all over from being a 9 year old 4X4. I should probably take the truck to a professional detailer to buff and polish the light to moderate stuff out. I just don't have money and am trying to be cheap.