View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #75
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
It's dependent on the person, but from what I've seen the majority of people are in that middle "will do alright but have trouble along the way" group. Having a bike that's really unforgiving of mistakes will stack the odds against them, and likely cause them to get into trouble when they might not have on a more forgiving bike. Add in the folks who would crash whatever bike they'd get on, and you don't have too many people left who would be just fine starting on an R6 (or whatever). And who can identify those folks over the internet?

I'd like to see some numbers that show that crashing has no relation to the displacement or type of bike. I'm not buying it.
I don't have numbers, but just think about it:

How do most newbies crash?

It's coming into a turn a little quicker than they're comfortable with and panicking, it's target fixation and running wide, it's have a stiff upper body and tucking the front, it's panic braking and locking up either tire, etc etc etc.

They are input/technique/mental errors that would occur on any bike.

It's not powering out of a turn and highsiding the fuck out of themselves, or doing a 150mph wheelie on a busa into a truck, or other power related errors. Those things DO happen, but just consider what most of the crashes newbs have are caused by.

But like you said (and I said previously), since it's hard to judge people by a few posts on the web, I suppose the start small advice is good advice. However the reasoning for it has never jived with me.

Also, I think the type of person who will do alright on a 600 isn't the type of person who will go on the internet looking for some positive reinforcement about their decision. I took my MSF, did a TON of research and reading, and went and bought my bike. End of story. It was a little while later that I joined some forums.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote