View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
Thx.

I haven't done any swerving yet, maybe I should do that. On corning, how do I know how leaned over I can be, getting on the highway onramp I tuck into the bike and lean with the bike, but I know that I can only do that so far until knee dragging in going to be required so the bike isn't leaned over too far. For normal riding will I ever be leaned over that far?
Swerving can be fun, even after years of riding I still like to do a little bit when Im out. Practice doing it not so much with your handlebars but with your weight shifting or lower body. Hard to describe, but when you do it, you know it. Its effortless whereas moving the wheels manually with your arms can lead to loss of control and jerkiness.

As for getting that knee down:

1) You're never as close to the ground as you think you are.
2) In typical street commuting and riding you should never be aggressive enough to really consider street riding. Its dangerous, regardless of what all the "street racers" will tell you.

After you've been riding for awhile and have all your basics mastered, then worry about it. I think most of us are guilty of having a lil fun on the streets, but until you are further along in your riding, play it safe so you make it that long.

U turns are always good practice too for turning.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote