View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Day 4:

This was a surprisingly fun 350 mile run through some beautiful desert from Mesa Verde National Park, CO to Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim, AZ. I found I rather enjoyed the desert. Of course it wasn't ungodly hot when I went through and I enjoyed the scenery a lot. There was also this interesting smell that was a sweet flowery smell that I liked in some parts of the desert. This seemed to correlate with the "red" sand/dirt desert.

So the day started off with a nice little early morning jaunts in Mesa Verde. I am so glad I paid the money to stay at this place. Being able to wake up and explore the park before anyone else was worth the extra cost I spent on getting the room in the park. I beat all the traffic, got to see all the cliff dwellings I wanted without ANY traffic. I was literally the only person on the road til at least 8am mountain time. I was still operating on EST, so I was up and out by 6:30 mountain or so. This park was amazing, I will be back again.

So I left Mesa Verde with a twinge of regret because the park was beautiful and headed on to my next stop in the tour which unfortunately was 4 corners. With the beauty of Mesa Verde still on my mind, 4 corners was simply a dump. Terrible waste of $3. The monument was surrounded by crappy Indian shops. Oh well, I wanted to do it....and this was not be the last or most money I spent on a shitty place...

I continued my trek through the desert and saw all sorts of neat scenery/rock formations. This was beautiful country. I loved the desert. It would be on my mind the whole trip. If I had seen the northern route before the trip, I would of just doubled back over the same area because I enjoyed the lower that much more than the upper part. I think I just had a crappy route for the northern part though, that was mostly to do with what I wanted to see up north.

I did the 40 miles through the forest to the Grand Canyon Lodge. I had a little cabin for the night. It was nice, but having the Grand Canyon as you backyard will make any room seem nice. I crossed off a top 5 item on my bucket list this night. I watched the sunset on the rim of the canyon. It was amazing. I had a big canyon cookie, drinks, cell phone with 3g, and a laptop tethered to the cell phone. LOL! This place exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed the hell out of the night and morning I spent on the canyon. This is a must do item for anyone. I highly highly recommend it and spend the money to stay at the lodge, well worth the cost. Plan ahead and make sure you get a reservation.

Mesa Verde:

Square Tower at Mesa Verde:

Pit House at Mesa Verde:

Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde:

Ride between Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon:

Entering AZ, actually taken on Day 5, but I didn't see it on Day 4:

More Ride between Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote