View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
1. what the fuck is a "Veyron"? Is it anything like a moron?
2. Well,if you read my post,I was talking about ALUMINUM sprockets making a $159 Ti sprocket economically feasable and specifically said that it doesn't make sense to a steel sprocket user. Guys that purchase Alum sprockets care about weight savings. BTW most people only change gear ratio once.
3. I mentioned front sprockets to agree that $89 was way too much since fronts don't "seem" to wear out.
4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

The engineers spend hours,days,weeks developing the trans,engine control computer and gearing to find an all around good working compromise. For example,an engine might have a definitive rise in vibration at 7000 pm. So the designers set the trans and gearing so that at 70 mph the engine spins at let's say 6500 rpm in 6th gear thus avoiding dead hands and feet after a freeway jaunt. After you installed sprockets with two more teeth in the rear and one less in the front. It spins at 8500 70mph in 6th gear. Now you have sleeping hands and you've lost 5mpg in fuel economy. Yea it's real smart to set your bike up for that one in a hundred rides "Veyron" race and sacrifice your day to day comfort and over all capabilities. Sure.
All valid points...I actually agree with you. Main reason I changed gear ratio....I have a buddy with an 02 Busa, he has high a high $$ 4-2-1 exhaust, PC III , stretched , custom map from dyno runs, exhaust valve mod and an ass load of other crap. I was tired off him leaving me in the dust ....OK , maybe not that bad, but he would pull away from me at a decent rate. So I did a cheap and easy mod.....rear sprocket. Now.....I'm right there with him and I spent 90% less $$$ than he did.