View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Takes 2-5 years to be a NYC firefighter from the time you first sign up for the test until you actually get hired, and its really only worth it if you want to make a career and retire from it

I know I sound negative, but thats the reality. Once you get past all the negatives, NYC is probably one of the coolest places in the world to live
I wouldn't aim for NYFD. I'd want to be in the outer suburbs (less chance of getting shot at). I know in Georgia the process is usually 6months to a year at the most and I'd start the process as soon as we know where we are going (which will be before Thanksgiving). I'm also getting my CDL A +Haz which helps a good bit for getting hired on. Along with getting scuba certified with stress and rescue. I know a good bit of FFs and they've said that stuff like that is very good to have on your resume. I'd also add that if I don't get into Rad Tech i'm going to take EMT courses for that year so I should have a good bit of stuff on my plate by then.

I know the negativity of NY. It's why leaving Georgia isn't my favorite idea. I'm just trying to get somewhat of an idea of what it would be like there.