Thread: Any BMW owners?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #24
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I don't want an old POS truck or a POS Honda/Toyota (same car IMO)

In reality I'll probably do 2 track days a year tops so towing really isn't a priority for me. Just something it needs to do every once in awhile. Kinda like the wife and laundry. BTW. The BMW I'm looking at is not a truck/suv. It's a 4 door sedan.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. ANY Ford Ranger will haul your Italian scoot with absolutely no problems, and the 2-wheel drive models have less ground clearance (and are less expensive) than the 4x4 versions, so getting the bike in the bed is much easier and negates the need (and $) for a trailer. Or get the trailer, put the bike on the trailer and throw all your gear/tools/parts in the bed. A 2001 Ranger with a 4 banger runs about 5K and keeps the wear off of your 5-series.

Who cares that your tow vehicle isn't a rare German sedan. The reason that people with common sense don't use BMWs cars for tow vehicles is because it's not cost effective. And here's a good question, where the hell are you gonna get a hitch receiver for your 5-series? How much is it gonna cost? Wear and tear on that car because of towing is gonna cost a lot more in the long run than the cost of the pickup.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote