View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #59
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i think i have to disagree with the fast cars wont prepare you for bikes argument a bit here.
The fast car & fast bike discussion has more to do with performance and reaction. Honestly, can you say it doesn't take more skill to drive a Corvette ZO6 then a Chevy Cobalt? Maybe not in a straight line at 20 mph. But what about as speed comes into play. What about taking corners? What about a wet road?

As a new driver or rider you are not going to have those skills necessary to handle unexpected situations.

A new driver isn't going to know what to do when they floor it on a wet surface and the ass end of the car starts sliding. A new driver with 500hp under his butt isn't going to know how long it takes to slow down from 80mph to 0mph in a panic situation.

There are more oppertunities for error with a 16 or 17 year old getting a performance car or motorcycle. Just look at the 17 or 18 year old that was killed along with a few friends out hot rodding in his dad's M5 down in Ocala last month. Maturity level and skill level comes into play, with any kind of performance vehicle or motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
not so on a bike, bike tires are rounded and ought to have the same amount of contact straight up as it would leaned over.
Ummm, have you ever taken an MSF class? Have you ever done any reading on Motorcycle basics or physics? If not, I encourage you to do both asap. When cornering on a motorcycle traction is reduced. Depending on the amount of lean angle, you have a smaller contact patch on the road. Have you ever watched any motorcycle racing? When they are leaned over in a corner, they are using maybe a fraction of the tires contact patch.

In a car, you have more contact path because the tires are turned. You don't turn on a motorcycle. You countersteer. A motorcycle turns nothing like a car.

Please do some research before you start giving people the wrong information.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote