Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition
Default Observations on braking...Long winded.

So this is probably something you have all noticed, but it hit me all over again...The other weekend I was riding with some really powerful literbikes through the Ozarks and as the pace heated up, I found myself getting into "race mode" having to push my 636ccs harder to keep pace. Now save the preaching on proper time and place for another thread, I want to discuss braking.

I noticed I was rusty and as I started riding in a more track oriented spirit I started to lean off, get my body position right, get my downshifts right and timed, stopped using the rear brake and concentrated on the front. Then after struggling a few corners i realized i was still having trouble braking and getting slowed efficiently. I came to notice after a few miles it got better and looking back i realized I was using street/hiway braking technique at too high a pace and then eventually started braking like I would on track and became much more comfortable with the speed.

On the road you typically increase braking pressure as you near your stop or corner. Grab the brake, then slowly increase pressure until you have reached your desired lower speed or stop altogether.

On track you brake as hard and as late as you can, scrubbing off the majority of your speed, and then easing lever pressure as you reach your desired speed and line through the corner.

Using road technique had me way too deep in the corner before my brake pressure slowed me enough and had the forks so compressed that it made turn in feel wrong and unbalanced. I know this also slowed me thru the corner and made it that much harder to make time on the liter bikes (cause in a straight line fuggettaboutit.

Just my thoughts and observations, but I think technique places an imortant part in keeping everyone safe soWhat are your thoughts...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

hmmm, i think you hit the nail on the head. I've noticed the same in myself. While I'm not condoning aggreesive riding on the streets, my "spirited" sunday rides have improved quite a bit since I started riding my bike similar to how I ride it on the track, and I have less pucker moments with my braking and going into turns!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Great post btw, you worded it beautifully!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I really haven't noticed a difference. The two roads where track techniques can be used, ones a sweeper road where little hard braking is needed and the other has you too scared to get a ticket or wreck because the surface isn't the greatest. Occassionally I'll haul through there and I'll need to get on the brakes harder, but I tend to just adapt to it and don't notice my braking habits affecting my lines or anything.

I never need to brake as hard as I do on the track on the street. You just don't leave yourself with any room for error in case you come up on a road hazard if your front end is almost bottomed out braking, you know? I'd say I ride around 80% on the streets during spirited rides.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Great post btw, you worded it beautifully!
Gee 'Tanks!

Arkriders.com
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I really haven't noticed a difference. The two roads where track techniques can be used, ones a sweeper road where little hard braking is needed and the other has you too scared to get a ticket or wreck because the surface isn't the greatest. Occassionally I'll haul through there and I'll need to get on the brakes harder, but I tend to just adapt to it and don't notice my braking habits affecting my lines or anything.

I never need to brake as hard as I do on the track on the street. You just don't leave yourself with any room for error in case you come up on a road hazard if your front end is almost bottomed out braking, you know? I'd say I ride around 80% on the streets during spirited rides.
Well I went past 80% trying to keep up with bikes pushing 60 more HP. But I know the limits pretty well and never felt uncomfortable in my pace just my technique...

Arkriders.com
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Well I went past 80% trying to keep up with bikes pushing 60 more HP. But I know the limits pretty well and never felt uncomfortable in my pace just my technique...
I hear ya. I went past 80% the other weekend trying to keep up with a guy on a new 1000RR. I finally caught and passed him. It was a sweeper-type road and it was the fastest I've ever gone through there. It was such a rush!

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

We're sick I tell ya sick! For the most part even a well ridden literbike can be kept up with, you just have to shift twice for every one of theirs. The longer straights where you have to run thru 3 gears are murder on our displacement though and you really have to hustle the corner to stay up...That ride I was only passed twice (both times in long straights) once by another Kawi 600 (drafting bastard) and once by a ZX10 that was on the howl! He muscled his way by effortlessly after I had balked at a corner warry of deer hunters on the side of the road (looked too much like a Forest Service Ranger or county LEO). The next straight was motor to motor and guess what, he won...

Arkriders.com
Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
DIMford
Nothing beats the RWB

Moto: 07 Honda Interceptor

I think this was good post. Nice to read about good riding technique and riding in general. It seems lately that alot of what's posted lately on the boards is not riding related.
The Road is a beautiful but dangerous mistress. She'll taunt and tease you with wonderful curves and glorious heights till you lose all control. Then leave you broken and bleeding to tease the next man.
DIMford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Usually I am either all over the brakes (track technique) or barely use them at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote