Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR
Default How is this oil spill not a big deal?

Its already surpassed the amount of crude dumped into the ecosystem by the exxon valdez tanker years ago, and EVERYBODY knows about that. It was a generational catastrophe.

And now we've got this huge rig thats been dumping oil into the ocean for weeks, (over 4000 square miles covered), and the only people whom seem to care are the sensationalist news networks affecting its price on gas.

I didnt even see a thread around here about it.

A lot of you LIVE near the gulf coast, and this is going to begin to directly impact you in the near future (if it already hasnt). what are your thoughts?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

This is destroying my hometown. I am from Buras, LA; which is just north of Venice, LA where the spill has started to come ashore. All that seafood that keeps that town alive can no longer be fished or shrimped. They still haven't fully recovered from Katrina, this is just going to make everything so much worse.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This is destroying my hometown. I am from Buras, LA; which is just north of Venice, LA where the spill has started to come ashore. All that seafood that keeps that town alive can no longer be fished or shrimped. They still haven't fully recovered from Katrina, this is just going to make everything so much worse.

I'm sorry, I thought it WAS plastered everywhere. At least, I see it plastered everywhere.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
shmike
Follower

I'm not sure either.

It baffles me why this isn't plastered everywhere.

Where's Kanye telling us that Barack Obama doesn't care about coastal people?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

seriously, this could turn out to be barracks katrina, and nobody seems to give a fuck because they'd rather bitch about a 10% tan tax.

exxon valdez didnt even happen near the continental US, this is happening right on our doorstep.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

That and a car bomb was set off in the middle of Times Square and it's barely making the news. I don't understand what's going on.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
That and a car bomb was set off in the middle of Times Square and it's barely making the news. I don't understand what's going on.
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

Tea Party Indignation overload.

I think we're all too tired to be up in arms about much anymore.

No one knows who to trust, who to listen to, or who will come to their aid, anymore.

The government seems powerless anymore. The cops are ineffective anymore. Laws are irrational, and their implementation often unconstitutional anymore. Cities, towns, and even states are going broke, infrastructure hopelessly broken. What seems like a recent spate of natural disasters has broken things down even more, leaving more and more people with no one to look to for help.

The reason no one is outraged anymore, is that it's become quite obvious that there's no one to become outraged AT anymore, when even government is unresponsive.

The government is no longer of the people. It belongs to corporations and banks. The people are already too burned out from being fleeced and terrorized to blink much anymore.

Another storm? Another bomb? Another disaster? Am I next?

I need to buckle down, look after my own.

Only anarchy can come from this.

I think a once great nation is in decline.

The irony is that the "terrorist's" role in over-terrorizing the populous is literally secondary in scope to that of media and government's roles.

They do more to destabilize things than the terrorists. They do it for one reason: Money. Fear sells shit, makes new laws, creates new government offices to enforce them. Fear is what they feed on.

Problem is, they've pushed the button too hard, and too often, and people are too broke, tired, and beaten to react with much vigor anymore.

Geez, another bomb? Another disaster? Is American Idol on? Pass the Cheezy Poofs...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

No one knows who to trust, who to listen to, or who will come to their aid, anymore.

The government seems powerless anymore. The cops are ineffective anymore. Laws are irrational, and their implementation often unconstitutional anymore. Cities, towns, and even states are going broke, infrastructure hopelessly broken. What seems like a recent spate of natural disasters has broken things down even more, leaving more and more people with no one to look to for help.

The reason no one is outraged anymore, is that it's become quite obvious that there's no one to become outraged AT anymore, when even government is unresponsive.

The government is no longer of the people. It belongs to corporations and banks. The people are already too burned out from being fleeced and terrorized to blink much anymore.

The irony is that the "terrorist's" role in over-terrorizing the populous is literally secondary in scope to that of media and government's roles.

They do more to destabilize things than the terrorists. They do it for one reason: Money. Fear sells shit, makes new laws, creates new government offices to enforce them. Fear is what they feed on.

Problem is, they've pushed the button too hard, and too often, and people are too broke, tired, and beaten to react with much vigor anymore.

Geez, another bomb? Another disaster? Is American Idol on? Pass the Cheezy Poofs...
Sounds like a book I read...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:

yes.

And, the oil/gas industry is THE big machine. It's the only industry that will throw money at a problem until it goes away, without really being affected. BP is the largest of those big machines. TransOcean is one of the largest contractors. It will all come down to lawsuits as to who is responsible.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

Fecking hell...it's Monday...I'm stuck in the office while it's sunny and a near perfect 70 something outside...AND I fully agree with a post by Avatard. Wow...

Having said that, though....the Gulf is FILLED with oil rigs...why would there NOT be emergency equipment on station in that area? I understand that none of it was SUPPPOSED to happen (they are called "accidents" for a reason" afterall...but...fires aren't supposed to happen either. Every city I've ever been in had a Fire Department with at least a station or two of equipment and trained personel on hand just in case.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote