Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #51
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
The only hybrid that comes close to paying back the extra cost is GM's full sized SUV variant.
My LS6 averages 20-22 overall, and get's 28-29 highway @65-70, it also still gets 26 averaging 85+.

All of the highway driving I've done, cruise control saves gas.

lifts you should know better than this dribble....
Its true RSV..the HC chains on avg. are longer and yelid more energy. I've even done several tests in my previous bike. Using the same station I always got 45mpg with 87 and 47 with 91...always.

Doubting though if your getting 20mpg you would see any difference.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #52
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Your not getting 25mpg with a Tundra V-8 at any steady no hill freeway speed. :bs
no hill... he's in Fargo... you can see for 3 counties if you stand on your tip toes...

it's an 07... 4.7 not the big 5.8L they came out with in 08.

but he's gotten 25 on more than a couple tanks keeping it under 65 (he lives a ways out so most of his driving is highway with little to no traffic).
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #53
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondahugger View Post
4 score and 7 years ago I took a dare from my step dad to prove that I could sell cars. I was about 19 and out to make a point. It was 3 days before Christmas and I had only been working at the dealership for about 2 months when I pulled a hat trick (selling 3 cars in one day). I collected the $500.00 bonus from the General Manager of the dealership as that was the spiff (additional bonus a GM sets every weekend for a goal that they set up in the Saturday morning sales meetings), put in my 2 week notice and collected the $500.00 from my step dad since that was the bet we had made. Needless to say, it was a very good Christmas that year!

Point is, I know what to do and say and look for when buying a vehicle. I've had several friends drag me along with them when they've purchased their vehicles. By the time we leave with said brand new vehicle, the Salesman hates me and the Finance Manager is looking for a bottle of Preperation H. I've actually been kicked out of a dealership before.

When I bought my Escape, I had my bluetooth in my ear and a friend from another dealership up north on the phone with me pulling carfax reports, Blue Book Values, etc on the Escape and the salesman didn't even know it.

The Bluebook at the time I bought it was $24,000.00, I paid $17,000.00 out the door.

In the last year and 3 months, I've put about 32,279 miles on it. DAM I DRIVE A LOT!!!! So, with that in mind, cost of vehicle, miles that I drive, I'm still kind of figuring that if it doesn't even out, it should come pretty close.
Fair enough, but as a fellow ex-car salesman,we both know that had you purchased the non hybrid escape,you would have beat them up just as bad and probably paid a hell of a lot less considering that there are approximately 10 times more of the non-hybrid units out there for sale. Note NADA has the non hybrid at about 30% cheaper. One other thing...have you priced those batteries yet?

BTW on topic,you should regularly check your tire pressure and stay on top of your car's maintenance.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #54
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Fair enough, but as a fellow ex-car salesman,we both know that had you purchased the non hybrid escape,you would have beat them up just as bad and probably paid a hell of a lot less considering that there are approximately 10 times more of the non-hybrid units out there for sale. Note NADA has the non hybrid at about 30% cheaper. One other thing...have you priced those batteries yet?

BTW on topic,you should regularly check your tire pressure and stay on top of your car's maintenance.
big one right there.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #55
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I doubt the mpg increase from prem vs reg. Go talk to a engine builder... if the motor isn't built for the higher octane you're wasting your money.

Now granted I have had a car before that ran better on mid grade cause it was getting pre-ignition knock. So things happen.

But Ford's also made the Mustang GT to run on 87... but if you want to throw more timing at it... you'll need more octane.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #56
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Yeah I doubt the mpg increase from prem vs reg. Go talk to a engine builder... if the motor isn't built for the higher octane you're wasting your money.

Now granted I have had a car before that ran better on mid grade cause it was getting pre-ignition knock. So things happen.

But Ford's also made the Mustang GT to run on 87... but if you want to throw more timing at it... you'll need more octane.
Hey Gas,why is diesel fuel more expensive than gasoline? Someone asked me that yesterday,I guessed that it either one or a combo of these reasons;
1. it costs more/requires more effort to refine

2. it has higher taxes attached to it

3. the necessary additives increase the cost

4. the oil to fuel ratio is lower

So what is the primary reason?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

up until Gas went over $2... diesel was always cheaper than even regular...
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #58
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

What does an engine builder know about chemical compounds? HIgher octane fuel has slightly longer hydrocarbon chains on avg. than lower octane, therefore resulting in a higher energy content. At 2 something a gallon the cost is not worth the potential 1-2 mpg more, but at 4-5 bucks a gallon the extra 20 cents may make more sense.

The main reason for higher octance is to resist knock, but that wasn't the discussion.

Quote:
....So what is the primary reason?
Less refineries. Period.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #59
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
What does an engine builder know about chemical compounds? HIgher octane fuel has slightly longer hydrocarbon chains on avg. than lower octane, therefore resulting in a higher energy content. At 2 something a gallon the cost is not worth the potential 1-2 mpg more, but at 4-5 bucks a gallon the extra 20 cents may make more sense.

The main reason for higher octance is to resist knock, but that wasn't the discussion.

Less refineries. Period.

I did some reading yesterday, and the point you're making about chain length does make some sense, Carbon-Carbon bonds have more energy than Carbon-Hydrogen bonds, But there was some hedging that most of the differences were due to density, not octane.

And everyone I've ever heard on the topic has said that higher octane doesn't improve mileage. I'd be surprised that you can measure a difference based on octane alone if your engine doesn't need higher octane or you don't adjust it for higher octane. Your bike just might need a bit more octane, hence the reason you get a 4-5% bump in mileage. And with more advanced engine management higher octane might very well give better mileage, but only be cause engine management retards the timing a bit with lower octane(in other words read your manual and use the fuel grade they tell you to).
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #60
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
So what is the primary reason?
From what I've read you get less diesel out of a barrel of oil, and there's more demand than supply.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote