Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #41
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Do you guys think there is a difference between a new engine /gearbox and rebuilding an engine that all the other hundreds of parts are already run in?
There are hundreds of friction points in a new engine/gearbox that are lapping in besides the cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings in a new motorcycle engine/gearbox that are not at all a concern when rebuilding a used unit. I worry more about gear tooth faces, dog surface and bearing run in, than the ring to wall seal. With the rings and the cylinder finish used these days, unless something was screwed up when it was built, the ring/wall seal in a done deal almost as soon as you start the engine. After rebuilding an engine, a couple of heat cycles to shape the piston is about it. All the rest is already done.
Every thing I've touched is honed and within spec from the factory. If it isn't, it goes back. So, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

If it's within spec, it will fit. If it's a faulty component, it's going to break regardless of break in. So, what benefit is there to babying it?

I wish I had my "transmission of power" notes kicking around. I can't seem to think of the manufacturing process used in gear design. Burnishing, lapping, hobbing, whatever the heck it is costs a lot and is far more accurate and is commonly used in engine applications.

Ultimately, the only time I've seen catastrophic engine failure has been because of maintainer error.

Edited to add: Most times spun bearings are caused by lack of lubrication. Crank bearings and cam bearing are made out of babbit for a reason, to allow particle embedding to the bearing and not the major components as well as to allow the bearing to wear instead of the expensive parts. And crucial components such as cams usually have bearings matched to them to precise tolerances. The ones we use, if you ding the cam or bearings, you replace everythign as a set. And to do that, we have to send the block away to have new cam bearings pressed in.
These components cost more initially for a reason, they're made to more precise tolerances using more expensive manufacturing processes.

Last edited by Tmall; 10-11-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #42
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

This is what my piston looked like after 2000 miles with a hard breakin:

Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Who knows whether that was due to the break-in, or questionable British quality control
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #44
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Who knows whether that was due to the break-in, or questionable British quality control
Yup, those Italian manufacturers all employ British quality control agents.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #45
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Yup, those Italian manufacturers all employ British quality control agents.
So this was the Husky, not your Triumph? My bad.......but the Italians aren't really known for quality either. Also, you said it had a previous owner......What else might he have done to it besides a hard break-in?

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-11-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #46
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I agree with the 'break it in with hard throttle, but gentle/repeated heat cycling' line of thought - and an oil change after the first few miles, not 600~1000.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #47
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
This is what my piston looked like after 2000 miles with a hard breakin:

Explain how scoring on the thrust side of the piston would be caused by hard break in?

Likely causes, no cooling to the bottom of the piston, the piston rings had the gap close to each other, or fuel dilution of your oil. Unless that piston is coated, it looks like there is a ton of soot on top. Which leads me to think fuel dilution.

I'm far from an expert. Just falling KISS logic.

Edit: Where's the top ring? Were the rings installed upside down? Or in the wrong position?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I'm with AMJ...I hit Redline within the first 50 Miles of owning the ZX6...I cant find the website right now but there was a guy who wrote up a story on how driving cars/bikes harder than the "break in " period allows for actually makes the engines withstand more as far as abuse goes...and I've heard that some newer cars will make more power based on the ECU and it knowing how often you go WOT and whatnot.

Personally...I think break in periods are stupid...But thats just my opinion.
the difference in power on any bike is going to be negligible based solely on break in.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #49
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Explain how scoring on the thrust side of the piston would be caused by hard break in?
Yes, please do.

That's either an assembly error, manufacturing error, or the person doing this "Hard break in" didnt know the difference between "Break in" and "Abuse".
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #50
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Do you guys think there is a difference between a new engine /gearbox and rebuilding an engine that all the other hundreds of parts are already run in?
There are hundreds of friction points in a new engine/gearbox that are lapping in besides the cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings in a new motorcycle engine/gearbox that are not at all a concern when rebuilding a used unit.
No, not really. All those friction points you speak of are either replaced with new or measured to make sure they're within Spec. You dont toss on a new set of rings and call it "Rebuilt". I'm talking front to back, top to bottom, EVERYTHING gets stripped down and gone over with a micrometer.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote