Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
i dont really understand this whole lien sale thing... so if I leave my bike in a parking lot for a long time somebody can just come in, take the thing and make me pay to get it back? and if i dont pay they keep the bike? what if i'm storing it over the winter or something?
or is it just if I haven't paid the parking fee?

either way sounds like too much risk/effort for a bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
that's another good point. Where did the $2500 storage fee come from? Are they charging everybody by the length of time there car is there? Your buddies logic is pretty out of wack IMO

It's kinda like a tax lien sale on a property. Hell, here in Indiana, if you don't pay your sewer bill, they can put a lien on your property. If a lien isn't paid within a certain period of time, the lien holder can sell the property. Just like a tax lien. All you have to do is pay the lien and the property is yours. If you have something in storage and don't pay the storage costs, your stuff belongs to the owner. He can put a lien on your stuff and it's his if you don't pay it. He can sell the stuff for the amount of the lien, regardless of how cheap it is. However, I don't see how it's possible for some joe off the street to just come in and take the property and file lien paperwork. He needs to have a right to the property in some manner. If he's buying it from someone who has a lien on the bike, that's one thing, but if he just puts a lien on something that has been sitting... just doesn't add up.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #22
m0n1
Street Stunter

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
i don't really understand this whole lien sale thing... so if I leave my bike in a parking lot for a long time somebody can just come in, take the thing and make me pay to get it back? and if i don't pay they keep the bike? what if I'm storing it over the winter or something?
or is it just if I haven't paid the parking fee?

either way sounds like too much risk/effort for a bike.
usually there would be some kind of contract, for something you may be talking about. its a private structure, and what i was told is the guy rode it in there, said he'll be back in 10 mins, and never came back.

i know when i rented a public storage unit, their contract state that if the fees aren't paid they will sell off what ever is in the unit to cover the cost of unpaid fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
that's another good point. Where did the $2500 storage fee come from? Are they charging everybody by the length of time there car is there? Your buddies logic is pretty out of wack IMO
the fees for the space it was in is 200 a month, so 2400 a year...

the guy is a recovering alcoholic/drugs, sober for over 5 years, but didnt go through the steps. i guess one of the steps that was explained to me is getting over your compulsive behaviors. he called me a few times each week, i didnt answer cause i was trying to keep him from spending money on it till the sale was done.

just wanted to share the situation. hopefully if you all come across something like this you would do more research than i did.

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." –Douglas MacArthur
“Our job as citizens also includes backing our president when he makes a decision, whether we like that decision or not,"- Damion Maynard
m0n1 is offline   Reply With Quote