Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > 2008 Blog Contest

Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Maintenance and Riding Blog

Last August I blew up the engine on my CBR. I've been riding my 1979 GS1000 ever since. This blog will show some maintenance tips on maintaining an older bike, and how I'll fix the engine on the CBR. The CBR engine is already apart. My wife says I can't get another bike until I put it back together. It's amazing how much area bike parts can cover when they are taken off.

I want to have one bike always ready for riding. The first thing I'll do to the Suzuki is replace the rear brake pads. The first thing I'll do to the Honda is lap and install new valves. I'll try and take good pictures and explain things.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The needle on my tachometer was bouncing around, so I figured the cable needed greasing. I know, how quaint that my Suzuki uses cables to run the tach and speedo. The tach is run by a cable from the exhaust camshaft. I pulled that out and greased it. The speedo and odometer are run by a cable off some gears on the front axle (shown). The cable is shown pulled out of the housing.

I like using BG products for grease. I use the Special HCF grease for cables on the bike and for packing the bearings on my bicycles: http://www.bgprod.com/products/greases.html.