Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

If your travel schedule isn't totally solid, that can get a bit risky, though. My ex and I are friendly enough that we've always worked things out. Technically, though, she could force the issue if I get a trip scheduled on a week where I'd normally have my son. I'd be required to find somewhere for him to stay for that week (i.e. with her), and she'd still get him the week before and the week after.

If we were together still, I'd probably keep traveling since I like it a lot. As it is now, my next job either won't require travel, or will give me complete control over the schedule.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Time is worth exponentially more to me than money. I would get a cheaper car, cut off my cable, downgrade my mobile service or do a myriad of other things to build the bank account before I would put more hours away from my family.

To me it would come down to do I really need the money or not?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

As someone who faced that decision...and chose money and the next promotion over time at home with my wife and new (at the time the decision was made) daughter, I would say no....If I had it to do over again I would not do it. Not for money....not for a promotion....not for ANYTHING.

Last edited by KSGregman; 07-21-2011 at 03:08 PM..
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Time is worth exponentially more to me than money. I would get a cheaper car, cut off my cable, downgrade my mobile service or do a myriad of other things to build the bank account before I would put more hours away from my family.
Respect.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post

To me it would come down to do I really need the money or not?
Yeah, just sleeping on it (I found out about the position yesterday), I have pretty much come to this same realization. I've already downgraded everything I can and I've taken a second job on days that I don't have my daughter, so there isn't much left that can be cut. My car is a 1997 with 237k miles on it and no payments, so I can't get a cheaper car. Once my two year contract with Dish expires, I plan on dumping that. I've considered selling the bike, but I've been without one for 5 years before and really hated it. I don't really NEED the money, I just want to get out of debt faster and a higher paying gig would do that. But, as you and others have pointed out, time is more valuable than money. I'd miss too many things that I could never get back.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
...The job requires 6 days away from home, then home for 8, then away 6, etc...
Six days ain't much, but it depends what you're doing. I was newly married, working 3 weeks of 12-hour-days, 7-days-a-week in the field and 1 week home. But the job was so interesting and exciting. Four-wheeling, helicopters, Wranglers, and hiking in the wilderness. Almost every trip was in a different area, with unusual geology. Looking back, I can't believe I got paid for doing it.

The week I was back, my wife and I enjoyed our time together. Didn't get much riding in then, but I retired young and ride almost every day. In your new job, you'll be home more than you'll be gone. To me that's a no-brainer.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Personally, I couldn't do it. Some things are worth so much more than money.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I used to travel 100%. Meaning, I left Monday then flew home Thursday night and was home over the weekend. That was when my kids were little. Now that they are teenagers, I travel on occasion for work.
More like 80% since you were home Friday
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i had the opportunity when my kids were little. I passed, wouldn't trade the time with them for any money. I have a friend who never made his oldest son's birthday. they do not get along well now that the son is older.
now days my youngest is 20 and I'm half way across the country. he likes it though so he has a place to visit.
You have the rest of your life to make money. you only have your kids for a few years.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote