Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #101
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Not really running, but that's pretty much where I am right now.
I walk twice a day with the dog, try to make her jog with me a little (with varying success).
I'm trying to keep myself in a routine of pushups and situps/crunches every day.
And, of course, one or two mountain bike rides a week as time & motivation allows.
As I drop weight running seems a little more possible, but I'm still not sure I really *want* to.
If you cant run biking is pretty decent. Try to focus more on duration and physical exertion more than distance. The longer you can go with a higher heart rate the better. You will be able to run easier once you are able to build up your cardiac endurance.

Also instead of just focusing on pushup and sit ups where you are only working one side of your body worth of muscles, you need to pull weight with your arms to exercise your biceps and back, and do dead lifts to strengthen your core (lower back). Squats with or without weights (where your ass almost touches your heels) will also work out most of the useable muscles in your legs.

Doing pushups and sit ups only work out your triceps, stomach and part of your shoulders. Your chest, back, bicepts and forearms are completely left out.

A good and easy 'pull' exercise is to tie a rope around a tree limb (preferably with a ring, loop or some kind of handhold on the end) and lean back pulling your weight up with your upper body. The closer to level your body is the more physical exertion you will need. The great part about this is you adjust the level of intensity with your own body weight and how much you lean back. .
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #102
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
If you cant run biking is pretty decent. Try to focus more on duration and physical exertion more than distance. The longer you can go with a higher heart rate the better. You will be able to run easier once you are able to build up your cardiac endurance.

Also instead of just focusing on pushup and sit ups where you are only working one side of your body worth of muscles, you need to pull weight with your arms to exercise your biceps and back, and do dead lifts to strengthen your core (lower back). Squats with or without weights (where your ass almost touches your heels) will also work out most of the useable muscles in your legs.

Doing pushups and sit ups only work out your triceps, stomach and part of your shoulders. Your chest, back, bicepts and forearms are completely left out.

A good and easy 'pull' exercise is to tie a rope around a tree limb (preferably with a ring, loop or some kind of handhold on the end) and lean back pulling your weight up with your upper body. The closer to level your body is the more physical exertion you will need. The great part about this is you adjust the level of intensity with your own body weight and how much you lean back. .
Thanks for the pointers. I may give those pulls a try.
Mainly I'm doing the situps to get my flabby-ass gut tightened up and pushups because... I'll be honest... I have fuck-all for upper body strength and muscle tone right now. Anything is going to be an improvement.
I've been doing incline pushups as well as regular so I'm seeing a little improvement in my chest. I'm also doing reps with dumbells, just didn't bother mentioning it.
I may give those pulls a try.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #103
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Thanks for the pointers. I may give those pulls a try.
Mainly I'm doing the situps to get my flabby-ass gut tightened up and pushups because... I'll be honest... I have fuck-all for upper body strength and muscle tone right now. Anything is going to be an improvement.
I've been doing incline pushups as well as regular so I'm seeing a little improvement in my chest. I'm also doing reps with dumbells, just didn't bother mentioning it.
I may give those pulls a try.
We really need a seperate thread dedicated to just talking about fitness and shit like that
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #104
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Should of just went and got some Merrill "insert name for the type of running you do" Glove shoes. They make different barefoot shoes for the type of running trail/road/whatever that have vibram soles and don't look fucking retarded.
They just say that you want to go to a barefoot shoe (sounds odd) but. You were not man enough to go all the way.

Toes and tits were meant to be free!!!

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #105
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
They just say that you want to go to a barefoot shoe (sounds odd) but. You were not man enough to go all the way.

Toes and tits were meant to be free!!!

James
I don't run barefoot or with minimalist shoes. I run just fine with regular shoes that fit right. I decided not to jump into this fad.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #106
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I bought the new balance "barefoot" shoe on sale and ran 4.5 miles in them last week. I like them just as much as the vibrams and i acutally think its more comfortable because it doesn't feel as snug and doesn't have anything forcing my toes apart. I do think the vibrams were very helpful as far as training and using a midfoot strike but other than running in them i wont wear them out on the town. Love my new balances.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #107
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I bought the new balance "barefoot" shoe on sale and ran 4.5 miles in them last week. I like them just as much as the vibrams and i acutally think its more comfortable because it doesn't feel as snug and doesn't have anything forcing my toes apart. I do think the vibrams were very helpful as far as training and using a midfoot strike but other than running in them i wont wear them out on the town. Love my new balances.
You should try Merrill next. I was a New Balance person and got fitted for some Merrills. Love these shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #108
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I don't run barefoot or with minimalist shoes. I run just fine with regular shoes that fit right. I decided not to jump into this fad.
LOL. Do your thing. I said two years ago or so when I first heard about them that I would never wear them. I said I would put my junk in a blender before wearing them. Two years later it turns out that I value my junk more then what people think about my footwear. Imagine that.

I ran fine with regular shoes as well. I don't like running now, unlike when I was younger, because I find its hard on the body. But thats not why I bought them.

My feet have been sore for close to a year. I think its the fact that I wear work boots for 50+ hours a week. I find its making my feet weak. Thats my opinion. So after reading about these shoes for about 2 years I said screw it I'm going to try them. So far I love them. Ran in them once but thats not why I bought them. I have used them in the gym twice and I love the feeling. If nothing else I love wearing them so I will keep them. If they do strengthen my feet then I will be happy.

The mild pain from my Saturday run died down the other day and my feet feel better then they did before the shoes. Its too early to say if its the shoes or what but I'm happy.

Plus I like having shoes that not everyone likes, just like my silver Nike Basketball sneakers I had years ago.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #109
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I think its the fact that I wear work boots for 50+ hours a week. I find its making my feet weak. Thats my opinion.
I don't know what kind of work boots you wear, but mine are like walking on concrete and toughen up the bottom of my feet. They definitely don't weaken my feet.

I am always happy to put on a good pair of good fitting shoes when I get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #110
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I don't know what kind of work boots you wear, but mine are like walking on concrete and toughen up the bottom of my feet. They definitely don't weaken my feet.

I am always happy to put on a good pair of good fitting shoes when I get home.
I'm talking about a the boots not letting my foot down much. It's just how I feel. If I'm right these might improve that. If I'm wrong then I will have to try something else but the ugly shoes stay unless they make it worse.

James