Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Insane compared to the US average, or just insane compared to west Texas?

Quite sure rent isn't $1600/mo for a 1-bed apt like it is here in the Bay Area.
From what I've heard, if you can get a 1 bed for 1600/month in western ND, snatch it up as that's a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Ive read some articles about booming oil towns where there is a huge shortage of women. Strippers are making a killing.
Haven't heard anything recently, but it hit the news awhile ago that dancers were making over 3k a night just dancing! (who knows what they made in other activities)
I know there were a lot of girls from Vegas and other southern locals coming up to get a piece of the pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Well they're being ripped off then, unless they are making $150K+ or something.
I just checked SF again, and the $1,600 I mentioned is really just the suburbs. In SF itself, $1,600 would only get you a studio in a questionable neighborhood. For a decent high rise 1-bedroom, add on another grand. But hey at least it's cheaper than Manhattan.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Well they're being ripped off then, unless they are making $150K+ or something.
Supply and demand. There is no housing available, so whenever something becomes available the price is sky-high.

It's the trade-off. I'm told people in other places around the country have trouble finding jobs, and when they do the employers set the terms. Here, if you don't like what an employer is offering, you go down the street. Or, sometimes literally, the office down the hall.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Possibility I might be looking for a job in the near future. I definitely don't want to move to North Dakota, but if that's where the work is...
Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

These are rig workers? What kind of experience do they look for? Is there some sort of oil rig academy, lol? Kind of curious how that works.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
These are rig workers? What kind of experience do they look for? Is there some sort of oil rig academy, lol? Kind of curious how that works.
Actually it's everyone in town. Roughnecks are some of the highest demand and highest paying jobs, of course, but drilling is a step in a multi-step process. My company focuses almost entirely on CO2 processing, which is used to flood oil and gas fields to increase production. But just that one facet of the industry keeps us overworked. Every engineering firm, oil company, doctor's office, restaurant, everyone is paying higher than the national average and still can't keep the positions staffed.

As far as roughnecking goes, they take almost anyone who's willing to do the work. Everyone starts at the bottom, as a floorhand, and you learn on the job. But even the floorhands are making pretty damn good money. You just have to be willing to work your ass off, in dangerous conditions, in heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, etc. The rig doesn't stop for anyone; if you can't make it in one day they find a replacement, and you might lose your spot in the crew for good. Most of those guys are on call even during their off hours, too.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Actually it's everyone in town. Roughnecks are some of the highest demand and highest paying jobs, of course, but drilling is a step in a multi-step process. My company focuses almost entirely on CO2 processing, which is used to flood oil and gas fields to increase production. But just that one facet of the industry keeps us overworked. Every engineering firm, oil company, doctor's office, restaurant, everyone is paying higher than the national average and still can't keep the positions staffed.

As far as roughnecking goes, they take almost anyone who's willing to do the work. Everyone starts at the bottom, as a floorhand, and you learn on the job. But even the floorhands are making pretty damn good money. You just have to be willing to work your ass off, in dangerous conditions, in heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, etc. The rig doesn't stop for anyone; if you can't make it in one day they find a replacement, and you might lose your spot in the crew for good. Most of those guys are on call even during their off hours, too.
Same thing happened in Alberta. Problem is that with the high salaries come high costs of living. I wonder how things will go after the flooding?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote