Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #101
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
Jesus... this turned into a shit show in 2 seconds flat, huh?

I kind of agree with the general opinion I'm seeing here.... As a soon to be MSF instructor myself, I'm pretty surprised that this guy would allegidly try & sell someone FRESH outta the BRC a 12R... Obviously there's no rules/laws/regulations saying you can't do that, but it sounds pretty irresponsible if you ask me. If anything else, it's certainly bad press for the MSF, that's for sure.

In response to TheAwesome's "you don't have to be able to ride, or know anything about riding for that matter, to be an MSF instructor" comment..... Sure, not all MSF instructors are the best riders... But there's nothing wrong with that. You need to realize that good riders don't always make good instructors... and bad riders don't always make bad instructors. It's not just about skill, it's about knowledge and teaching ability (and patience for people like those found on internet forums :P)

IMO, the BRC does an adequate job of teaching people the basics and giving them a solid foundation upon which they can CONTINUE to build upon. By no means does it teach EVERYTHING you need to know & by no means is it advertised in that manner. It gives you the skills to hopefully survive long enough to get to the next point and continue your rider education. It's CERTAINLY better than no training at all.
Excellent post Oreo

When are you doing your RCP?

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #102
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
In most cases, yes. But not when the other viewpoint is ignorance, or goes against common sense, for the sake of creating an argument. My viewpoint is skydiving without a parachute is dangerous. Do you want to show off your "KNOWLEDGE" and defend the other view?

IF I can prove that a high percentage of those that jump without chutes land without a scratch. Then I could easily defend that position. If you could prove that EVERY fucking guy that starts on a bike larger than a 250 died,then you would be 100% right but since that is not the case,fuck you and your pompous opinion. I don't care what percentage of the world "believes" as you do,I KNOW for a fact that most guys that start on a 600+ are ok and don't kill themselves or anyone else.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #103
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
IF I can prove that a high percentage of those that jump without chutes land without a scratch. Then I could easily defend that position. If you could prove that EVERY fucking guy that starts on a bike larger than a 250 died,then you would be 100% right but since that is not the case,fuck you and your pompous opinion. I don't care what percentage of the world "believes" as you do,I KNOW for a fact that most guys that start on a 600+ are ok and don't kill themselves or anyone else.
A lot of guys I've ridden with who started out on a bigger bike, were crap riders. More CC's, the more terrible they were. Most certainly not a rule, especially considering that we have a number of riders on this board that defy that logic, it's just an observation.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #104
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
A lot of guys I've ridden with who started out on a bigger bike, were crap riders. More CC's, the more terrible they were. Most certainly not a rule, especially considering that we have a number of riders on this board that defy that logic, it's just an observation.
Here's the thing OSP,it's MY PERSONAL contention that most of the bad riders that start on 600s would have still been bad riders if they started on a 250 or 500. I think that some people are just fucking shitty riders,period!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #105
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Here's the thing OSP,it's MY PERSONAL contention that most of the bad riders that start on 600s would have still been bad riders if they started on a 250 or 500. I think that some people are just fucking shitty riders,period!
That's some damn good logic yo, the only problem is I've never run into that. Everyone who I've rode with that started on a smaller bike was a competent, and more importantly, safe rider.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #106
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
That's some damn good logic yo, the only problem is I've never run into that. Everyone who I've rode with that started on a smaller bike was a competent, and more importantly, safe rider.

Well maybe the headlong rush into a larger bike tends to draw a certain type of personality...idk but to be honest, in all of my years of riding,I have only ridden with 3 people on 250s and two of those people were girls. The truth is that people on motorcycle forums only comprise a small percentage of actual riders. Any dealership will tell you that 600s sell 10+-1 against 250s,I don't believe that most of those guys wreck BECAUSE they are on a 600 vs a 250. I have seen too many single vehicle accidents and they have almost always involved panic as the main cause...too much brake or over correction.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #107
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Well maybe the headlong rush into a larger bike tends to draw a certain type of personality...idk but to be honest, in all of my years of riding,I have only ridden with 3 people on 250s and two of those people were girls. The truth is that people on motorcycle forums only comprise a small percentage of actual riders. Any dealership will tell you that 600s sell 10+-1 against 250s,I don't believe that most of those guys wreck BECAUSE they are on a 600 vs a 250. I have seen too many single vehicle accidents and they have almost always involved panic as the main cause...too much brake or over correction.
Like a drunk fat guy on a mini-bike in a parking lot...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #108
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Like a drunk fat guy on a mini-bike in a parking lot...

Hahahahaha! Yea,um how are you feeling anyway?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #109
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Hahahahaha! Yea,um how are you feeling anyway?
Better... I cannot flex my quad at all, but otherwise I'm good... Only taking pain meds at night when I get on my machine (bends my leg all night).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #110
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Heh, no shit, since I "started" on a 929. But when I did, I was smart enough to know I had to be mindful of my brake and throttle control, moreso than my friend that started on an R6. More torque at low RPM, more sensitive throttle, etc. IMPO, anyway.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote