Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #151
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
So, technically, "the rich" cannot afford it as easily as "the poor".
I'm not a fan of higher taxes, for anybody. But I don't think there's a world where this sentence is true, technically or otherwise.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #152
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Really? Care to explain? Because if you really think my post is SO controversial that it's the dumbest thing you've ever read, then you are one of the most bizarre online personas I've ever encountered.
Physical activity is necessary for a kid to develop into something? Tell that to my HS valedictorian... You know, the kid who read books during recess, grew up to own multiple companies and become a multimillionaire before he turned 30.

I agree that kids need physical activity to be healthy, but the importance people put on organized sports in this country is INSANE... Like you can't learn teamwork, discipline, and humility elsewhere... You guys are talking about HS sports getting kids into college and providing a pathway to a better life in general, which is a fucking joke... I venture to guess there's a significantly higher percentage of kids who's pathway is determined by academic achievement. Further, with all the corruption in college sports, how many of those athletes get a high quality education? Because you know they don't all go on to be millionaire pro athletes...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #153
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I agree.

My daughter is taking AP anatomy which will translate to college credit. Maybe I should complain to the district about teaching her advanced classes that aren't needed "yet."

Oh, and maybe talk to them about getting rid of marching band too. I mean, all that early morning hard work and classical music. Completely unnecessary.
Teamwork? Leadership? Dealing with adversity?

We dont need any of that.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #154
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
I agree.

My daughter is taking AP anatomy which will translate to college credit. Maybe I should complain to the district about teaching her advanced classes that aren't needed "yet."

Oh, and maybe talk to them about getting rid of marching band too. I mean, all that early morning hard work and classical music. Completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #155
pauldun170
Serious Business

the tax rate debate always comes across as misleading since our tax system is more than just "rates". Our tax system is designed to promote behaviors deemed beneficial for society.
Home ownership, going to college, having children, saving money (and spending money in ways thought to be beneficial for society)
While democrats and republicans talk bs about who should pay a higher rate or if we should lower rates, the effective rate that people actually pay is quite different.

A head of household who makes $100,000 putting a kid through college will potentially pay less in taxes than some single person renting, spending all their money on toys making $30K.
Even a single person making $100,000 could potentially pay less in taxes (as a %) then someone making 30K if they use their income in the right way. Its all in the tax code.

If you eliminate the tax code and go to a flat tax or national sales tax, the impact on will be huge and it will hit the middle class hardest becoming a massive increase in actual taxes paid.
Those who would benefit would be all those broke motherfuckers who contribute nothing to society.

This as been brought to you buy the "Split be bill evenly party"
No more of this percentage business...End of the year, the government passes the bill around the table and the entire population splits the bill evenly.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #156
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
AP anatomy doesn't transfer to college. Maybe as a free elective. People who want to be nurses, health majors, "sports management" (future PE coach), etc take Anatomy AND Physiology (together) through 2 semesters (or quarters). If they are wanting to become a doctor or PA, Anatomy and Physiology won't even count (much less some HS class). AP anatomy may count if they go to a tech school to be a CNA but I doubt that. They take a dumbed down version of anatomy AND physiology (not just anatomy). If your daughter wants to learn about anatomy, then there are some awesome books I can recommend to you and they'll only cost you $20 (and the taxpayers $0). Some are even coloring books (which do wonders).

High School should prepare ALL kids to have the option to go to college. And if the school has kids concentrate on all of the core classes of college they can get credit for classes such as Lit and Comp, Calculus, etc. Then they can decide in college what they are really passionate about becuase they'll not be worried about basic classes like Calculus, English, and other core classes that suck up time. They'll be able to concentrate all their efforts into what they want to do. Wether it is Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, English, Math, Art, digging ditches, or playing football. On top of that many would be able to finish in 3 years instead of 4 (which would save money for the student and the taxpayers).

My school never prepared me for college becuase they straight up told me I can't do college and I shouldn't try. They did that becuase I wasn't the perfect little student and they only encouraged students they felt could do it to go the college track. The rest got put on what they called the "technical track" where you learned basket weaving 101 and counting your fingers AND toes. They did that so they could have high graduation numbers and then get more funds.

I also don't have a problem with teaching advanced classes. I have a problem with teaching classes that are unnecessary which take up funding regardless if they are advanced or not.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #157
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
AP anatomy doesn't transfer to college. Maybe as a free elective. People who want to be nurses, health majors, "sports management" (future PE coach), etc take Anatomy AND Physiology (together) through 2 semesters (or quarters). If they are wanting to become a doctor or PA, Anatomy and Physiology won't even count (much less some HS class). AP anatomy may count if they go to a tech school to be a CNA but I doubt that. They take a dumbed down version of anatomy AND physiology (not just anatomy). If your daughter wants to learn about anatomy, then there are some awesome books I can recommend to you and they'll only cost you $20 (and the taxpayers $0). Some are even coloring books (which do wonders).

High School should prepare ALL kids to have the option to go to college. And if the school has kids concentrate on all of the core classes of college they can get credit for classes such as Lit and Comp, Calculus, etc. Then they can decide in college what they are really passionate about becuase they'll not be worried about basic classes like Calculus, English, and other core classes that suck up time. They'll be able to concentrate all their efforts into what they want to do. Wether it is Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, English, Math, Art, digging ditches, or playing football. On top of that many would be able to finish in 3 years instead of 4 (which would save money for the student and the taxpayers).

My school never prepared me for college becuase they straight up told me I can't do college and I shouldn't try. They did that becuase I wasn't the perfect little student and they only encouraged students they felt could do it to go the college track. The rest got put on what they called the "technical track" where you learned basket weaving 101 and counting your fingers AND toes. They did that so they could have high graduation numbers and then get more funds.

I also don't have a problem with teaching advanced classes. I have a problem with teaching classes that are unnecessary which take up funding regardless if they are advanced or not.
I want to directly respond to points made in this post but I think I'm better off just expressing my condolences to you over your experience in the education system.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #158
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Tell you what, I'll take the advice of an actual university administrator over a random forum poster over what classes she takes that will apply to her college career.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #159
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Tell you what, I'll take the advice of an actual university administrator over a random forum poster over what classes she takes that will apply to her college career.
Are you sure you want to gamble with your daughter's future like that?

Seems risky.

JC
Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #160
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I want to directly respond to points made in this post but I think I'm better off just expressing my condolences to you over your experience in the education system.
Well fuck it then, I'll do it.

Smittie, they said you couldn't go to college because you're a dumbass.

Get over it.

JC