Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I would really like a SM with the engine of an SV or 650r, something like that, even an ex500 wouldnt be bad. I'm not seriously looking, just pondering the thought. my next bike will probably be a sport tourer anyway, I'm just looking. It took me 2 years to really decide to buy a bike last time.
The Aprilia SXV models (4.5 or 5.5) are V-twins and are light as hell. That lightness comes with a price of maintenance that will shock you and supposedly less reliability though.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

My biggest issue is the engine. I don't know if it's just my DRZ, but the thumper engine is a drama queen. It makes a lot of noise and vibration but just doesn't make much actual power and has tons of engine braking. An Aprilia 5.5 twin sounds about perfect to me but the reliability is just not there AFAIK. It'll be a HUGE change from your CBR900.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The Aprilia SXV models (4.5 or 5.5) are V-twins and are light as hell. That lightness comes with a price of maintenance that will shock you and supposedly less reliability though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
An Aprilia 5.5 twin sounds about perfect to me but the reliability is just not there AFAIK. It'll be a HUGE change from your CBR900.
The RXV and SXV are nothing less than full blown race bikes with blinkers and plates. Hell, the first year models are not even street legal.

You don't expect a race ready engine to be a reliable performer as a mundane street bike?

They are not made for droning day in/day out. The engine needs serious overhaul every 50-hours of operation.

The 4.5 model is less so, but also gave up lots of oomph. Still kicks ass and takes name but not overwhelming like the 5.5 model. When you take an RXV or an SXV out for a proper thrashing, I guarantee that you will get off the bike with your knees wobbling, your hands shaking and your weewee busting a nut. I've never ridden anything as intense as the SXV5.5 supermoto. Not even the KTM 950SM, BMW MegaMoto or the overhyped Hypermotard can touch the ferocity of the Aprilia 5.5 motard.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Boy, do I wish I could afford an SXV 5.5.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Picked this up Sunday:

OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Picked this up Sunday:

Whoa. I might need to check this bad boy out before you sell it.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Its a low-miles 03 DRZ400s with a Motostrano Quick-change kit (Excel wheels, Conti tires, wave rotor, caliper extension, braided lines, tail kit and a couple other bits. The bike has 2500 miles on it, the kit about 100 (the tires aren't even scrubbed in).

Quick turn-in, ridiculous lean angles and great for the tight and twisties.... for the freeway, not so much. Nervous handling and a tendency to get blown around by truck; but it is great for the torn-up sections of the beltway where the pavement gobbler scrapes up mile-long stretches of chunking, patched pavement and leaves dusty, sandy wiggly lined pavement with abrupt seams and 2 inch high drops and seams; there the long travel suspension excels.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
for the freeway, not so much. Nervous handling and a tendency to get blown around by truck

Thats the ONLY reason I didn't go with a DRZSM. I didn't feel like being treated like a ragdoll when/if I had to do any hiway (which is nice when you've spent all day on the backroads and want to get back home in less than 3 hours)