Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'm seriously considering it (though I need to get a new OEM seat because I stupidly got rid of mine in favor of the OEM gel seat from Suzuki) since it's considerably cheaper than the Russell and (from what I've heard) the results are pretty similar.
No they are not, Spencer is still very similar to stock shape and uses the stock cover, just redoes the foam/support. Companies like Russell and Mayer rebuild the entire structure to support you much better.

There really isn't a substitute for the ugly patented wing design of the original mayer/russell seat.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Air Hawk
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
you might as well invest in a new seat at $100
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
No they are not, Spencer is still very similar to stock shape and uses the stock cover, just redoes the foam/support. Companies like Russell and Mayer rebuild the entire structure to support you much better.

There really isn't a substitute for the ugly patented wing design of the original mayer/russell seat.
By "results" I meant the lack of numb-ass syndrome

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The advantage is, you can use it on multiple bikes. And for the good air hawk it's $150.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
The advantage is, you can use it on multiple bikes. And for the good air hawk it's $150.
Custom seats are pretty easy to sell for little loss. Especially if you wait for the annual group buy they hold. I got my Russell really cheap.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I'm amazed that 3/4 of an inch makes three bike unrideable... I've had very good luck with Suzuki gel seats and have had them on my last for bikes. in fact the one on my current bike is almost four years old and no problem.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Just do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from the OEM gel seats. They're okay in the beginning but as they get older I've found they end up hard as a rock.

I've heard really good things about Spencer's seats
( http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php )

I'm seriously considering it (though I need to get a new OEM seat because I stupidly got rid of mine in favor of the OEM gel seat from Suzuki) since it's considerably cheaper than the Russell and (from what I've heard) the results are pretty similar.
Did you leave yours on the bike during winter storage?

I plan to put the stocker on for storage(I just got mine, and it is so much better than stock).
Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Ah ya wussy. You just been off so long your butts gotten tender! Just suck it up and ride!!
This! Suck it up buttercup, your butt will toughen up!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Checked them out. They say their seat is 3/4" taller than stock for 650, but they do mention it's narrower, which helps make it feel shorter. Not sure I want to spend $400 on a seat to find out if it will work or not.

Quote:
http://www.day-long.com/

You will have to send your seat pan in though, but it's the best seat out there hands down.
Will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Work on your butt callous...

Oh and the japs work off the metric system
The ad says 6mm (approx 1/4")

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I've got almost 60k on the Busa. I'll give you my secret.

Get a pair of gel filled bicycle shorts. That will help a LOT. For me, 500 miles is mileage before lunch.

Seriously though, get a nice pair of shorts, pay $30 or $40 for them, and call it good. I actually sold the Corbin seat I had on my TLR because for me, the shorts worked better than the Corbin did.
Will have to look into this option, as it's a nice cheap alternative. And I was only able to put in 200 miles for the day because I was working. Riding from place to place, handling business, then moving on. But at least I get paid to do that. Only go out once a week, for work, though. Would be better if I could do that every day!

Quote:
If you need something soon and cheap, go to Wally world and get a comfort seat cover for a car and cut it down for your seat. The bead ones work well and some of the walmarts have a gel version that works great.
Thanks, will check it out, as well as the gel bicycle shorts.

Quote:
Just do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from the OEM gel seats. They're okay in the beginning but as they get older I've found they end up hard as a rock.

I've heard really good things about Spencer's seats
( http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php )

OEM gel is what I had ordered and it's not as advertised. Sending it back today.

Quote:
Quote:
Will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I'm amazed that 3/4 of an inch makes three bike unrideable... I've had very good luck with Suzuki gel seats and have had them on my last for bikes. in fact the one on my current bike is almost four years old and no problem.
Yeah, me too. It's not completely unrideable, it just that I can ONLY get one foot on the ground with the gel seat vs. the stock seat. With stock, I can get one foot flat with tip toes of other foot on ground. With gel, it's either VERY tip toe of both feet, or one foot flat with bike leaning uncomfortably to that side, and other foot nowhere near the ground. Very uncomfortable to try and balance the bike that way, especially with as much stop and go as I do when making field calls for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Ah ya wussy. You just been off so long your butts gotten tender! Just suck it up and ride!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
This! Suck it up buttercup, your butt will toughen up!
I hope it does soon!!
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote