Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
This is definitely terrible and I feel terribly for Oreo.

But in this instance I must play devils advocate, if they adopted Oreo out after she failed all her behavioral tests, and someone was hurt or killed, who would you be blaming then?

The ASPCA for allowing a dangerous animal to return to the "public"?

You cant keep an animal caged 24/7 without being cruel, but you cant have a pet that no one ever comes into contact with either. And if she dug out? What then? Ate an old lady on her door step because no one could control her?

Blame the previous owner who made her the way she is? That doesnt help the person she injured or the old lady she killed...

Blame the new owner who got too close to the food bowl and was attacked?

(I in no way endorse senseless euthanasia.)
There are places that are willing to rehabilitate animals like OREO.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...n/all/Overview
Old 11-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
This is definitely terrible and I feel terribly for Oreo.

But in this instance I must play devils advocate, if they adopted Oreo out after she failed all her behavioral tests, and someone was hurt or killed, who would you be blaming then?

The ASPCA for allowing a dangerous animal to return to the "public"?

You cant keep an animal caged 24/7 without being cruel, but you cant have a pet that no one ever comes into contact with either. And if she dug out? What then? Ate an old lady on her door step because no one could control her?

Blame the previous owner who made her the way she is? That doesnt help the person she injured or the old lady she killed...

Blame the new owner who got too close to the food bowl and was attacked?

(I in no way endorse senseless euthanasia.)
Which brings me back to my last point that organizations that deal with dogs like the ASPCA don't understand the first thing about canine mentality and psychology.

The fact is that it just isn't that hard to rehab an abused or aggressive canine. The problem is that organizations like the ASPCA strongly denounce the methods that are successfully used for that type of rehab thus making their mission statement irrelevant.

You don't adopt out an animal with a bad past to some old lady. You adopt him out to a strong guy that doesn't have kids and has the patience to fix the dog. It really is not that hard to do.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
There are places that are willing to rehabilitate animals like OREO.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...n/all/Overview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Which brings me back to my last point that organizations that deal with dogs like the ASPCA don't understand the first thing about canine mentality and psychology.

The fact is that it just isn't that hard to rehab an abused or aggressive canine. The problem is that organizations like the ASPCA strongly denounce the methods that are successfully used for that type of rehab thus making their mission statement irrelevant.

You don't adopt out an animal with a bad past to some old lady. You adopt him out to a strong guy that doesn't have kids and has the patience to fix the dog. It really is not that hard to do.
But what you guys are ultimately missing here is:

1) The ASPCA is responsible for the animal. They cant transfer it to another organization, they would still be responsible for that animal being "in society" if something were to occur which would lead to bad publicity and repercussions for their decision to allow a "menace" out.

2) They dont have the resources to screen adopters to the level you suggest. They deal with hundreds and thousands of animals, and making sure a pet goes to a strong male dominant owner who has the skills to deal with a "trouble" animal isnt remotely reasonable. As for how hard it may to rehab a trouble animal, thats a matter of opinion and personal thought. Spending 6 months rehabbing a troubled and aggressive animal when you have 200 more that dont need that level of attention isnt logical.

Have you ever tried to adopt out a GOOD animal? One without behavioral problems? It can be near impossible. They dont have the resources to keep on a problem when its hard enough to get homes for loving gentle animals that can be placed anywhere.

I dont disagree, but at the same time, the ASPCA has a system that works. They do what they have to do to best take care of all the animals, not single individuals that are in essence too damaged to easily rehab. Should they have given Oreo some time and transferred her, especially in light of the publicity they got on her? IMPO, of course. But thats not how it works guys.

Havent you watched animal police? Animals that show an intolerable level of aggression and and have problems are put down. Thats how it works. Several states have laws that certain breeds are put down immediately without the benefit of working with them. Its sucks, but thats how it is.

Unless you want to become independently wealthy, get the rules changed so you can take the animals and the responsibility to deal with them, the ASPCA (typically) does the best it can.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
But what you guys are ultimately missing here is:

1) The ASPCA is responsible for the animal. They cant transfer it to another organization, they would still be responsible for that animal being "in society" if something were to occur which would lead to bad publicity and repercussions for their decision to allow a "menace" out.
How would the ASPCA stay responsible for an animal they turned over to another organization?
That is a ridiculous statement.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

That's not true. The local animal shelter has no responsibilty whatsoever over the dogs I adopt from there. Once I sign the papers they are mine and I am 100% responsible for whatever happens from then on.

More than that though, its just not that hard to rehab an aggressive and abused dog if you take the slightest bit of time to learn something about it, which shelters and the ASPCA does not. They go with the "experts" without putting any of the methods in use in the real world.

How hard is to to tell if a potential adopter is a little old lady or a dude with no kids? Again, not that hard. We're talking about a minimal amount of effort here.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
How would the ASPCA stay responsible for an animal they turned over to another organization?
That is a ridiculous statement.
No, its not. We live in a ridiculous nation. Think lawsuit.

The ASPCA gets an animal they cant adopt due to "issues". They sign it over to another organization. This organization works with it, or releases it to its new owner. Dog reverts or isnt rehabilitated and attacks or accidently turns on someone.

New owner or victim sues owner, and organization that gave the dog PLUS the ASPCA as being ultimately responsible for letting a "bad" animal leave their premises. Even if they signed legal documents, as ridiculous as things are with lawsuits these days, they could be held liable for the dog in the end.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
No, its not. We live in a ridiculous nation. Think lawsuit.

The ASPCA gets an animal they cant adopt due to "issues". They sign it over to another organization. This organization works with it, or releases it to its new owner. Dog reverts or isnt rehabilitated and attacks or accidently turns on someone.

New owner or victim sues owner, and organization that gave the dog PLUS the ASPCA as being ultimately responsible for letting a "bad" animal leave their premises. Even if they signed legal documents, as ridiculous as things are with lawsuits these days, they could be held liable for the dog in the end.
So if a dog from a breeder attacks someone does the breeder get sued?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
That's not true. The local animal shelter has no responsibilty whatsoever over the dogs I adopt from there. Once I sign the papers they are mine and I am 100% responsible for whatever happens from then on.

More than that though, its just not that hard to rehab an aggressive and abused dog if you take the slightest bit of time to learn something about it, which shelters and the ASPCA does not. They go with the "experts" without putting any of the methods in use in the real world.

How hard is to to tell if a potential adopter is a little old lady or a dude with no kids? Again, not that hard. We're talking about a minimal amount of effort here.

No babe, you're not. What is minimal effort to you isnt to an organization that has hundred of animals to care for.

What is minimal time and effort to you, isnt to another person. (The adopter)

Case in point, idiots who have a hard to train pet and put it down versus take the time and effort to train it.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
So if a dog from a breeder attacks someone does the breeder get sued?
Its happened. I dont have the time to look for a case right now, but a coworkers gramma breeds chi's and someone tried to sue her because they shook it to death. Not her fault or a defect in the dog, but because she bred and sold it, they tried to get her for their irresponsibility and cruelty.

You guys do realize I am playing devil's advocate right? Im looking at all angles, not just the one from my heart strings.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Its happened. I dont have the time to look for a case right now, but a coworkers gramma breeds chi's and someone tried to sue her because they shook it to death. Not her fault or a defect in the dog, but because she bred and sold it, they tried to get her for their irresponsibility and cruelty.

You guys do realize I am playing devil's advocate right? Im looking at all angles, not just the one from my heart strings.
Sure, but anybody can be sued over anything. Killing dogs is not the answer to that problem.