Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
WTH are you waiting for.... we need to get you to the range.

When would you like to meet at Vandalia? I've got vacation time to burn before the year is over.
Waiting to find out how much more I need to pay the attorney for custody issues. Trying to save every dime possible considering this has been going on since June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
For CC.... you want stopping power. 40.

Compact S&W 40... find one used. >>> http://policelink.monster.com/produc...-compact-40-sw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Eh......I dont subscribe to the 9mm is for wimps argument.......I am no gun guy by any means, but to me the stopping power argument is over-rated. ...Ammo cost should also be considered...
Ammo cost is one of the big reasons I'm considering 9mm. Target rounds are fairly cheap and considerably cheaper than 40 cal around here. Plus, when it comes to stopping power, I imagine a 9mm "flying ashtray" hollow point is going to have plenty of stopping power.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Waiting to find out how much more I need to pay the attorney for custody issues. Trying to save every dime possible considering this has been going on since June.

Ammo cost is one of the big reasons I'm considering 9mm. Target rounds are fairly cheap and considerably cheaper than 40 cal around here. Plus, when it comes to stopping power, I imagine a 9mm "flying ashtray" hollow point is going to have plenty of stopping power.
IMO if a 9mm wouldnt slow someone down, why would so many cops carry them as their duty weapons? My cousin is a sheriff and all they are told us the certain brands that they are suggested to use, not the caliber and yet the majority of the force carry 9mm's. And Im assuming that most police are more likely to actually need to "stop" someone with force than an average citizen would be. I could see an argument between a 9mm or 40 cal vs a 22 but to me either a 9 or 40 will get the job done so might as well go with what youre most comfortable and accurate with.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
IMO if a 9mm wouldnt slow someone down, why would so many cops carry them as their duty weapons? My cousin is a sheriff and all they are told us the certain brands that they are suggested to use, not the caliber and yet the majority of the force carry 9mm's. And Im assuming that most police are more likely to actually need to "stop" someone with force than an average citizen would be. I could see an argument between a 9mm or 40 cal vs a 22 but to me either a 9 or 40 will get the job done so might as well go with what youre most comfortable and accurate with.
I'm with you...I still don't totally get the argument but one thing I will say, size-wise, you can't beat 9mm for cc duty imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Love that P30... wish I could afford H&K
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

As often as we are in the woods, I carry for self defense from 4 legged animals as much as I do for the 2 legged kind. Where as a handgun of nearly any caliber is enough to make a person at least have second thoughts, a 9MM might just only wound a big 4 legged problem. I carry a H&K 45C, its a good CC piece and gives me 8 rnds to work with. I figure if I cant do what needs to be done with those 8 rnds, then I'm already up shit creek. But planning ahead and having a backup mag alliviates those worries for the most part...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

very nice looking toy.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Nice. I've had my carry permit for 9 months and I still haven't bought a pistol. I still can't decide between 9mm and 40cal, plus, I really liked the HK when I shot it. Unfortunately, I don't really like the price on the HK. I need to get to another rental range and shoot some other handguns.
I have both a 9mm and a .40. I will say this. get the .40

very similar recoil, very similar ammo price, $5 more for 100 rounds,
better knockdown and (in my case anyway) better accuracy. different guns though.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
So then you won't mind if we shoot you with our 9mm right?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
That's a sharp looking gun. I like it! Every time I'm at the shop I check out the HK, but I just can't stomach the price. LOL

Like Homeslice, I personally don't necessarily buy the 9mm/40cal argument for carry.

I have an SA XDm 9mm. I don't carry it, but once I get my CC license, I seriously doubt I'll look for a larger caliber to carry.

I go to the range and shoot at least twice a week. I'm extremely accurate with my 9mm at 20 feet. I know alot of people will scoff at that range, but my personal reasoning is that once someone invades that perimeter, it easily becomes a case of self defense. Try to justify self defense at 25 yards. It's not happening.

9mm has plenty of stopping power if you aim for the right part of the body.
And use the right load
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Understandable. Hopefully that is over soon.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
As often as we are in the woods, I carry for self defense from 4 legged animals as much as I do for the 2 legged kind. Where as a handgun of nearly any caliber is enough to make a person at least have second thoughts, a 9MM might just only wound a big 4 legged problem. I carry a H&K 45C, its a good CC piece and gives me 8 rnds to work with. I figure if I cant do what needs to be done with those 8 rnds, then I'm already up shit creek. But planning ahead and having a backup mag alliviates those worries for the most part...
Good point.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I will be sure to pass those along to Erik. I know he is very excited and wants to show everyone. We are going to the range again tonight (was there yesterday) so he can shoot it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote