View Poll Results: This is
A good idea 20 90.91%
A bad idea 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Hells yes, but there has to be a provision that if they have a bonified interview they get to skip it for that part of the day.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I'd just be happy if they drug tested people collecting welfare.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
This is ridiculous. If theyre going to punish the people who just lost their jobs with community service are they going to punish the corporations that laid them off if they havent started hiring again in 12 weeks?
How is it punishment? They're working for money just like they would be if they had a job.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
How is it punishment? They're working for money just like they would be if they had a job.
And it's resume/application filler.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
it's punishment because it can be humiliating... Whenever I see people picking up trash on the highway I don't think, "What a bunch of civic minded, upstanding citizens". Why not make them wear t-shirts that say, "I'm a loser that lost his job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'd just be happy if they drug tested people collecting welfare.
this
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
And it's resume/application filler.
yea all the Fortune 500 companies look for "picked up trash on the freeway" on a resume'.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #17
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
it's punishment because it can be humiliating... Whenever I see people picking up trash on the highway I don't think, "What a bunch of civic minded, upstanding citizens". Why not make them wear t-shirts that say, "I'm a loser that lost his job".

this

You have to do what you have to do. You'd rather them sit on their ass all day instead of helping out. Good to know. I'm gonna go get fired, put my couch out front and sit there all day.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You have to do what you have to do. You'd rather them sit on their ass all day instead of helping out. Good to know. I'm gonna go get fired, put my couch out front and sit there all day.
I rode my bike and hung out all night when I was laid off...

The thing to remember is, unemployment is insurance not welfare. Your employer pays a premium every month that you are employed at his company. For example, I worked for 13 years for OHD without a single lay off so when I got it I took advantage of it. I was receiving $405 per week and all the jobs down here paid $9/hr (seriously) I took one when I still had 2 months left of benefits. BTW working costs money, I had to commute 40 miles each way. If I worked some overtime, I brought home around $300. Take out a couple tanks of gas each week and realize I was better off sitting at home.

Here's some good questions....who's paying for travel to these forced labor camps/sites? Understand that UE is less than half of what you used to make on the job so adding a $50+ expense to someone's life that is trying to make it on half wages... Who's watching the children? When you're bringing home $600/week you can afford daycare but on $300? You're lucky to pay the mortgage and keep the lights on most of the time. Are you going to be doing the type of work you're trained to do? Or are they just going to hand hammers and shovels to downsized accountants and secretaries? What if you get hurt on one of these jobs? Who's going to pay for that?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #19
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

FUCK! I didnt think of the children.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Another "I'm tough on ______ (crime, sex offenders, drugs, terror, etc.) Governor/District Attorney/Sheriff etc. who creates programs like this only to make themselves look good, like as if they actually give a shit about their community more than just getting re-elected
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote