Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

HD and CC? XD9SC. I've got a XD9 Service model (4" barrel) For conceal I'd rather have the compact or even sub-compact. You get 2 mags with them...one for CC and one for HD that holds more rounds with a grip sleeve on it.

1000 rounds through mine and not a hiccup. It'll shoot anything and everything.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Here's more food for thought. Get a Ruger MKII ( semi auto .22lr ) as that will give you plenty of trigger time. Low recoil, extremely inexpensive to shoot and in a pinch, could substitute for home defense ( would not be my first choice but better than a bat or golf club )

I would also suggest a double action revolver in .357 magnum caliber. The .357 is very effective for home defense and it allows you to shoot .38 special rounds for practice. ( 9mm /9x19 and .38 special have almost identical ft lbs of energy for the same bullet weights. .38 special +P are more powerful )

For a revolver, I would recommend a Ruger GP-100 . The clear advantage in a revolver is that if it doesn't go BANG when you pull the trigger, you simply pull the trigger again for the next round in the chamber.

You could purchase both of those weapons for one of your purchase allotment price listed and could still have enough left for a semi auto of your choice.

Gun opinions are like assholes----everybody has one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the serious point. If you are considering a weapon for self defense, will you be able to pull the trigger if the need arises? Will you be able to live with the fact you may have to kill someone to protect yourself?

You do NOT have to answer the question here but PLEASE be honest with yourself.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I was about to say a revolver. So Ive reathat revolvers can have less recoil since wveryting is blown out the front and less recoil since there is no slide to worry about.

A guy I work withvalled me and said he had a friend selling his Ruger. 357 for $400. I wonder if thats a deal.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I personally have the XDm 40 and love it. If your wife can handle a 9mm, the recoil with the 40 is not nearly as bad as a 45, even with hollow point rounds.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Sig P229.
Sprinfield XD40
Have both, carry both (not at the same time), love both. (Although I am preferential to the Sig). Can't go wrong with either, IMO.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

I have a SIG 229 w/ the .40 S&W barrel in it. Love it.

Many SIGs have the drop in mod for .22lr, so it could possibly become a double-duty gun (hey, you'd get time on the frame shooting .22 as well, not bad).

The SIG fits my hand well, but still purchased the Hogue grips.

XD's are real nice..... but there's just something about the SIG. Not as big of a fan of the Glocks, they really don't "fit" me well

... but if you just want a standard .22 for plinking, hard to go wrong with a Ruger.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

These are all fantastic bits of advice, thank you.

The Sig 226 is currently at the top of my list, having handled all of the guns available at the shop. I'm headed out next week to put several rounds through a 226 and a 229 in both 9mm and 40, as well as a few of the other guns on my list.

At this point, I'm likely just going to buy the 1 pistol, go through my training classes and then look at getting another .22 plinker. Ultimately, for the home defense/carry pistol, I want to go for the largest caliber I can shoot comfortably and accurately with. (Be it 9mm, 40, or whatever). It needs to be comfortable enough to be able to take to the range often and be able to practice on a regular basis. I've always enjoyed shooting, but never had the opportunity to be able to go to the range regularly until now, and so have never purchased a gun.

The Sig seemed to fit my hand the best, though of course it's the most expensive. P226 in 40 with nightsights, 4 mags and a couple other bits was priced at 875.

The XD40 also felt nice, though a bit top heavy and didn't fit quite as well as the Sig. Nice gun though.

I handled a Ruger (something in 40, wish I could remember the model, perhaps the SR40?) and that also fit very well. It was surprisingly light (unloaded of course) so I'm curious to see what kind of recoil and shooting experience it will garner.

I also handled a few Glocks, and was not a big fan. They didn't fit my hand well, and I was having issues with the fit and finish of the gun. I know they are incredibly reliable and I plan on shooting one, but it's down there at the bottom of my list.

Marco - good call on the XD9SC. A subcompact is a little small for my hands, but am considering a compact. Initially I'm reviewing full size, but ultimately I would love to have 3: A plinker, an HD pistol, and a CC pistol. All of which should be able to be fired regularly at the range.

Revolvers are also another great alternative. You can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a revolver. I plan on reviewing several, and ultimately will go with my gut feel on what feels the best. I still lean towards a semi-auto, but would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least give them a chance.

Jeff - You read my mind. I have considered this exact same question many times. The answer is: to protect my stuff? No. To protect the well being of myself and my family (including my unborn children) Yes, without a second thought.

I'm looking forward to shooting these next week. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

I love my XD40 SC, eats whatever I feed it. They are top heavy feeling till you load it up. I keep the shorter mag in my 99% of the time, but the extended mag is normally close by.

They aren't as slim as some other guns and might print easier but that also depends on what type of holster you wear it with.

If you plan on throwing a laser or light on the rail for home defense use, you are limited are the rail is pretty short.
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post

Revolvers are also another great alternative. You can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a revolver. I plan on reviewing several, and ultimately will go with my gut feel on what feels the best. I still lean towards a semi-auto, but would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least give them a chance.
Semi auto revolver? Check.

I like to call it "my castigator"

My ideal weapon would be a Mateba like my .44 mag above, in .357 with a full moon clipped eight round wheel like whats on the smith trr8. in black with a pachmeyer grip please
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 07-02-2011 at 11:25 PM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

lol Semi-auto as in not a revolver - but that is a very nice piece.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote