Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
...did not know you were a geologist, i completed my minor in undergrad in geology, majored in enviromental science and biology, dont think i could us the geology background in TN, but out west geology has a better job market.
I worked in mining for two years before I got into exploration and evaluation of mining properties. In 1988, I was evaluating some uranium properties in Utah. The Hey Joe Mine was one of them: http://www.utah.com/offroad/hey_joe.htm. The cliff was actually 600 feet. On the trail along the Green River, a rock the size of a garage fell on the road. Being a lazy SOB, I wanted to ride over the rock instead of hiking to the mine. I had a brand new Dodge Ramcharger. I made it over the rock, but broke the rear driveshaft. Here's what torque from a 360, four barrel, granny gear, and low range can do to a driveshaft.

Twisted it like a pretzel. After getting to the other side of the rock, we had to go back over with just the front wheel drive. Luckily the Dodge had a Warn winch. But it took us all day. That's why we had to go up the cliff trail at night. Rented two ATV's and made it to the mine after we got a new driveshaft. The reason I didn't want to hike was all the mapping, sampling, and safety gear we has to use to safely go into an abandoned uranium mine.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

That storry is beyond sad.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #13
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

First and Foremost...RIP to the Father and Son...Thats Tragic

Secondly...That Driveshaft is Ridiculous.

I've wheeled before with myself and My dad and a Few buddies of Mine...Never at Night though...Always wanted to thought it would be cool but I just dont like that Visibility is Key and when you see a "puddle" it might really be a Lake.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

As a kid, we wheeled 90% at night. Luckily we have lots of trees to keep you from rolling to far down the Mtn.