Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I'm wanting out of La so bad! I'd almost take all the retirees, illegals, and flat roads in exchange for not having to deal with the bad ecomony due to noone wanting to come off of old money and spend it, roads that can't get a passing grade, and dirty politicians.

I keep telling myself, just a little more than 4 years before the young padawan graduates high school. Once he's 18, all this custody shit is over with and I can leave. I think Mini-Me and Young Padawan are going to follow me!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is hated about Florida? People love to hate it, but as the same time I fucking love the weather when I go down there.

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. I have considered it to be one of the places I would move to.
There's this notion that I noticed and bought into when I moved here that the pay sucked, but everything was cheaper, so it didn't matter. Problem is, everything isn't cheaper, it's still overpriced. Homes prices have shot up through the roof, general cost of living has creeped up steadily for a while, and things just aren't what they're purported to bet, and yet, the average pay around here is still awful. The people dolling out the paychecks have held tight to the sucky pay while spreading this notion that it's cheaper to live down here.

That's one. Two is the people. There is such a high concentration of rude arrogant douchebags around here. Maybe it's the influx of northerners that bring their misery south, but I think it's just the general population. It's frustrating sometimes to see such self centered pieces of shit rolling around being stupid fuckheads on a daily basis. Do they exist everywhere? Yes, but not in these numbers. I remember when I briefly moved to Austin, Texas and my then wife and I couldn't believe how laid back and polite the people were. It was completely night and day.

Three, it's really not that nice around here. You go from the beauty of the beach areas quickly into slums, with these self contained communities that wall themselves off from the surrounding filth. There is almost no middle class barrier to act as a peaceful buffer between the high class and the slummy areas.

There are some incredibly beautiful areas in Florida. I've been to Siesta Key a small handful of times and I would kill to live there. The thing is, this place is an excellent tourist destination, and that's all. Most of the businesses cater to that because that's where the money is. Everything else is a fight for shit pay a shit jobs to live in a shit area loaded with strip malls and other cesspools. There are so few areas in this state that are about community. And I've lived all over the state, so it's not just the shit dump I'm in now.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Sounds like you covered it well Corey.

I was told that there was a lot of money to be made in touristy places if you could find a way in as a server/bar tender. Beyond that I hadn't heard what you had pointed out. Interesting.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #14
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Sounds like you covered it well Corey.

I was told that there was a lot of money to be made in touristy places if you could find a way in as a server/bar tender. Beyond that I hadn't heard what you had pointed out. Interesting.
The thing is, do you want to be a server/bar tender for the rest of your life? There is money to be made there, but there's competition out the yin yang for those kinda positions. If you want to make good money, you'll probably want to go to either a big city like Miami, Orlando, or Tampa, or a big college city like Gainesville or Tallahassee. When you get there, you'll be competing with people who've settled into the professional bartender lifestyle or the college fuckheads who are a dime a dozen who think a drinking habit makes them a great bartender, as well as the rest of the people who know that food service is about the only place to make money without knowing somebody or something.

You're going after tourists who have tightened their purse strings as well. So if you're looking to make money, you could turn to the other booming businesses in this area: hospitals and funeral homes. Don't laugh, I've worked both, and both pay better than the majority of the shit that's around here.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Yeah I suppose I should rethink all of my tourism employment thoughts with the way things are going. This summer in Alaska I will be working for a tourist based hotel, I am pretty sure that this year will be busy with their reservations from the year before but I can see this being the last remotely strong year.

Might be time to go work on the Alaskan pipeline. I do have a college degree but I have given up on putting it to use any time soon. Going to enjoy this summer and then relook at where I want to live and what I want to do with my life. Might live overseas for a while or something nuts.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Check into working an Alaskan fish boat, my stepbrother did it several seasons and it's hard work but pays well.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Same. Haven't figured out where yet though or how the hell I'm going to do it, but I'm itching to get out.
Where do you want to be? I'm itching for TN, NC, SC... possibly even northwestern GA... That area of the Smokys is fuckin' gorgeous, plus the quality of people seems to be solid... not to mention best fucking roads in the world... There's a myriad of other reasons like cost of living, weather, etc...

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is hated about Florida? People love to hate it, but as the same time I fucking love the weather when I go down there.

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. I have considered it to be one of the places I would move to.
Where to begin...

First and foremost... the people. There are a TON of fantastic motherfuckers in this state, but there are ricockulous number of douchebag motherfuckers too. The ratio is far worse than anyplace I've ever been... there's very little inbetween too. Either you meet a cool ninja cat or a total fucktard. I think a lot of it has to do with the clashing of so many cultures...

Next... The roads. The roads here suck. And back to the people... the drivers here SUCK.

Honestly... this place just never felt like home. I've been here more than a year, and I still feel like I'm visiting. Maybe it's this town, maybe not. Either way the things that would make people want to live here the most, are things that aren't really important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
well if you have the cash and dont mind the hippies california isnt too bad : ) BONUS: Our governor killed satan. And saved john connor from the machine, then later kills him.
I'd rather beat myself to death with a sock filled with dried dog turds than live in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I can't speak for them, but IMO the general vapid personalities in Florida.......airheads........plus the fact that there's too many retirees clogging the roads, lots of illegal immigrants, and too much focus on tourism. Flat roads not much variety in the scenery either, unless you're in the northern third of the state.

Quote:
Thanks, that was sort of what I had assumed it to be. Live anywhere and you eventually get tired of it.
Yeah, that's the truth... However, I was tired of this place within the first few weeks. I'd rather never go back to Ohio, but if I only had two options... one being here, the other being OH. Back to being a Buckeye I would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
There's this notion that I noticed and bought into when I moved here that the pay sucked, but everything was cheaper, so it didn't matter. Problem is, everything isn't cheaper, it's still overpriced. Homes prices have shot up through the roof, general cost of living has creeped up steadily for a while, and things just aren't what they're purported to bet, and yet, the average pay around here is still awful. The people dolling out the paychecks have held tight to the sucky pay while spreading this notion that it's cheaper to live down here.

That's one. Two is the people. There is such a high concentration of rude arrogant douchebags around here. Maybe it's the influx of northerners that bring their misery south, but I think it's just the general population. It's frustrating sometimes to see such self centered pieces of shit rolling around being stupid fuckheads on a daily basis. Do they exist everywhere? Yes, but not in these numbers. I remember when I briefly moved to Austin, Texas and my then wife and I couldn't believe how laid back and polite the people were. It was completely night and day.

Three, it's really not that nice around here. You go from the beauty of the beach areas quickly into slums, with these self contained communities that wall themselves off from the surrounding filth. There is almost no middle class barrier to act as a peaceful buffer between the high class and the slummy areas.

There are some incredibly beautiful areas in Florida. I've been to Siesta Key a small handful of times and I would kill to live there. The thing is, this place is an excellent tourist destination, and that's all. Most of the businesses cater to that because that's where the money is. Everything else is a fight for shit pay a shit jobs to live in a shit area loaded with strip malls and other cesspools. There are so few areas in this state that are about community. And I've lived all over the state, so it's not just the shit dump I'm in now.
I agree with most everything, though I never thought it was going to be cheaper...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #18
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Check into working an Alaskan fish boat, my stepbrother did it several seasons and it's hard work but pays well.
How did he get his "in"?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

If I moved back to the South it would be the Asheville area, or maybe somewhere around Chattanooga, I bet that's going to be the next growth city.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 AM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
How did he get his "in"?
I dunno, but he never said it was difficult to get.

Course working on oil rigs would pay even more, but then you're in some of the worst parts of Texas, tripping over drunk Indians and such.