Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #231
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Well say what you want. You CAN NOT train a powerfull breed dog the same way you do a lab or retriever. Lab's and retrievers DO NOT act the same or as challenging to anybody or any other dog.
Actually yes you do. You can train a lab with just about the same techniques as you would any other dog.

Quote:
I used the shock collar at the house to control him better when he gets out of line. Sure he would be better behaved if I ran him out more, but working 60+ hrs a week doesn't offer much free time for such. You will rarely ever have problems with tired dogs. Further walking with the dog aids in the alpha roles. But as i said, I don't always have that time for doing this everyday. He gets walked and other forums of interataction.
So you wanted a dog to just hang around with little to no stimulus? You don't have to run him, just going out to practice obedience will work. 10-15 min sessions.

Quote:
But I ran the collar for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. And now he rarely ever needs it. It was a tool that I used, nothing more different than a kennel. People use kennels for all sorts of reasons whether it be potty training or punishment. The dogs don't always like it but people do it anyway. That is not to say that we all will agree with each other on training.
No a kennel is a dogs home, thats where he goes to step away it should not be used as punishment, totally different than a shock collar.

Quote:
I personally don't agree with sleeve training. I believe it breeds aggressive behavior in the dogs, especially the powerfull breeds. Police K9 dogs do this but they receive round the clock training far beyond what most normal owners would give. They have to be vicous on command to a criminal but soft/gental enough to let 1st graders maul them at school. But again, these dogs aren't the norm nor their training.
If you are referring to the picture of sleeve training it is completely different than what the police receive as training for their animals. The picture above is bite work for the sport of Schutzhund, along with tracking, and obedience. If done properly the dog does not associate the sleeve with the person, and after the work is done the handler, trainer and dog can all be friends. The dog does not do it out of aggression, he does it because it is a game. I have worked for a shot time with a gentleman that has a S.A. Boerboel that does schutzhund and I believe is now titled S.c.h. I and working on II that is also a therapy dog that goes into hospitals to help uplift the cancer patients. There is ZERO aggression because it is not aggression that you see. When you watch a dog train do you see his tail wagging, or do you see the hair on his back standing up?

Quote:
My dogs father and siblings were sleeve trained. I did some time with his father at the breeders house. It was an amazing thing, however, that dog hated me all the time, wanted to eat me all the time. I believe its the contridiction from soft vs sleeve agressive that causes some dogs to "snap" if in the wrong position.
Sleeve trained? As in Schutzhund, or Protection?
By doing time were you on the sleeve? The dog has no hatred for the trainer, you are just wearing something he wants and he has been trained to get it.

I am not sure I understand what you mean "soft vs sleeve aggressive"? Also it depends on what you mean by "snap"? Are you talking about going after the trainer or handler outside of the training?

Quote:
Perhaps I'm completely wrong, perhaps not. Perhaps the 3 trainers I have consulted with are complete morons, perhaps not. Some are fine with shock collars and others are against it. Some believe Ceasar Milan is too hard on dogs, some don't. All I know is that fora 5.5 month old puppy my dog listens to me and is very well behaved. At the end of the day something I have done or not done has worked.
There are quite a few trainers who claim to be such, but very few are actually worthwhile enough to train a dog. The dog might listen to you out of fear, not because he/she wants to do your bidding. It makes further training much more difficult having to force the animal to do something rather than make it want to do something.

Quote:
If my dog gets out of line or does something wrong I tell him so, one way or the other. Shcok collar, he still understands, I can tell by his reactions to the shock and to me.
So the dog now associates what you say to a shock on the neck... I do not really see this as a good thing.

Quote:
Which by the way, powerfull breeds doesn't only mean their size, it also has to do with their mentality.
So if you combine size and a semi intelligent dog you have a powerful breed?

I am guessing you do not think the dogs I listed are powerful? I do conceed the doberman is not quite on par as far as brains go... Generally they have two cells that fight each other.

Quote:
And at the end of today... I didn't create this thread to debate training, just share the good times Brinks and the family & friends are having.
Fair enough...

Quote:
Also, that is one great looking Rot I have always loved Rots. They are such a big muscle bound dog that are usually giant teddy bears.
That rott is a complete ham... I never did any training with him, only obedience, my last two were titled... and it was just a terrible loss when they died. Lots of time and effort spent between the dogs and I..

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #232
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Please post more pics of the rot... puppy pics?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #233
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

My dog had two blue eyes at birth. Around one year her right eye changed to brown from top to bottom. Her left eye followed a few months later..... EXCEPT, it stopped changing almost perfectly half way down the eye. So now she has one completly brown eye and one half brown half white eye. I guess instead of changing the bottom pigment just dissapeared. You dont really notice it because she has long bangs covering her eyes. But when she gets cut... its funny because from across the room, she always looks like she is looking up!
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #234
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Quote:
Please post more pics of the rot... puppy pics?
Unfortuantly I do not have any puppy pictures of him he is getting to be an old dog (roughly 8 years) and he is starting to show it.

This is him in my back yard, that is a normal 4.5 foot tall fence...

I thought I had more than this but I guess I have either lost them or never uploaded them.

I can throw my little shit head in the mix of puppy pictures

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #235
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Love the rot.
The dox is cute

Run Amsoil Product
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #236
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

I've trained my APBT with positive reinforcement. Any of the CF'ers who have met him in person can testify that he is a great dog.

Shock collars are not my thing. different schools of thought.

Oh and my APBT is also shutzhund training now. He's a natural. and if a person has a well rounded dog, etc, it does not make them aggressive.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #237
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Well again I have been slackin in my updates. I have been caught up with the planning and doing of the kitchen remodel, along with the holidays and BANG... months have gone by.

So back a few months ago... maybe early december.... he goes in the back of the work truck with me to work.

Well his bowls on the floor needed to come up. I looked ALL OVER the internet and shops... couldn't find one tall enough, that stores a good amount of food, and had big dishes. So I shopped around a bit till I found the perfect size "rubber maid" style container. Cut out the circles in the lid, cut up an old foam style floor mat to not only give it some style but also act as a gasket for the water dish. The manufactued versions usually have a double bowl on the water side.

BAM

It holds over 2 BIG bags.

So anyway, back around Christmas he got a big new bed. Found it at Sams Club for $30 and its huge. He LOVES LOVES LOVES it. He must put at least 12hrs a day on that thing if he can. There's some of that Mastiff lazy coming out.

Some more shots from early Dec

Then he got his first big snow

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #238
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Well, last week he went in to the vets for his nuetering. We kinda knew we would, but we were waiting. But after suggestion from friends and his trainer we went ahead and scheduled him. In the words of the trainer, "Why not just do it and help out us with his training?" So he went with special treatment and no expense was spared for his care. He came home with the e-collar (cone) to make sure he didn't get at his stitches. Looks funny too, he was also all doped up as you can see from the face shot.

He got big blood panel, laser cut, fluids, catheder, pain meds there and for home. The works. Also, when in he got Home Again micro chipped. Just another pre-caution in case he ever got out. He weighted in at 96# at 7 months old after fasting for 12hrs.

Earlier this week he got a big boy bone and he loves that. And yes, we know... scary rawhide. But he likes em and we keep an eye on him so he don't eat it much. He don't like it when you take away the little pieces but its for his own good anyway...

I hope this finds you all well.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #239
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Your dog is ADOREABLE!!! I LOVE that you didn't crop his ears. While some may say it helps prevent infection, this is a dog we're talking about. What did animals do before we made them into pets and started altering their bodies to our whims?

On that same train of thought, I think a lot of people now a days are too "soft" with their care of their animals. Kind of like with their kids. I don't advocate beating them by any means, but, I also don't think you have to spend more on dog food than you do people food. Dogs used to live for years on table scraps, (not that I would feed my dog only table scraps as it teaches them bad habits usually) and GASP, bones, and survived. Just like I survived riding my bicycle without a helmet and had not one head injury!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #240
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Awesome pics Gas Man, Brinks is growing into a fine pup.

When my Jack Russell got neutered I went way out of my way to make sure he was without much pain. I spent the extra money to get the laser done and have him back on his feet earlier. My girlfriend wanted to go the cheap route, but she didn't understand the emotional connection on those balls.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote