Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #21
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Don't pay for themselves in terms of margin? Maybe. But just because a car doesn't provide much or any margin to the company doesn't mean it's valuable. GM needs vehicles that attract younger buyers into its brand.
Specialty models rarely make money for the simple fact the volume is too low. But...the point of an OEM is to attact buyers of all types so they don't jump ship to another OEM...nearly all OEMs understand this. But Homeslice you and others just do not realize the crisis GM is going through. I deal with GM people in MI a few times a week and when you hear GM turned OFF all voicemail, laid off ALL contract workers, denying payments to suppliers you know shit is bad.

I can see GM doing this...axing Saturn/Medium Duty/Saab/Hummer and maybe GMC, only if they file Chapter 11.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-23-2009 at 01:07 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Can you imagine being an engineer working on the V-series Caddies, and being moved to BUICK!

Ugh. I can't believe GM's upper management gets paid at all, never mind the seven-figure salaries + bonuses they draw. It's like they all graduated from the Special Needs School of Business.
There is little difference to engineers IMO. When I worked at GM in their Powertrain group in the diagnostic group, there were four groups: Big Block, Preimium V engines, 60/90degree and the line 4 engines. I was in the 60/90 degree engines and we got anything we needed because those were GMs bread and butter. The line 4's didn't get shit and the Premium guys were treated like they each had PHDs (for some reason), but their budgets were curtailed.

GM has been loosing billions of dollars for a long time now, has been around for over 100 years and STILL has not declared Chapter 11 whereas most companies couldn't go 3 months in the red without BK. GM has a strong desire to survive and the only reason I see why it is still around because they built it so structurally solid, that it is taken so long to bring it down.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-23-2009 at 01:08 AM..
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

But if a young person buys a Cobalt SS, he has a higher chance of "graduating" to other GM vehicles in the future. Think about it, GM needs vehicles like that to prevent the youth market from assuming that only imports make cool vehicles.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But if a young person buys a Cobalt SS, he has a higher chance of "graduating" to other GM vehicles in the future. Think about it, GM needs vehicles like that to prevent the youth market from assuming that only imports make cool vehicles.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying GM is bleeding waaaaay too much and it had to go.

Besides, the young guy buys a truck first then an SS Cobalt.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #25
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

And rental companies are still buying fleets of plain cars.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

General Motors made bad decisions that have now put them in this position. People stopped buying their cars because they weren't the quality of other manufacturers.

yes, GM has made great strides in improving the quality of their vehicles, My 2006 Saturn is my second Saturn. But, I will also say, it is not as good of car our '01 was, and will be our last, rather GM closes them or not.

Like all mega corporations...and governments...their massive size creates real problems with efficiency and fosters an "I don't give a shit about my job except getting paid" attitude, which drives customers away

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

I wonder if the Car Czar has anything to do with this?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
General Motors made bad decisions that have now put them in this position. People stopped buying their cars because they weren't the quality of other manufacturers.....

Yeah that is why GM sold more cars than any other OEM in the U.S. since like....1930. LOL

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Chevy should have been working on dual OHC, variable timing, turbo and super charging, traction and stability controls, ECU timing and fuel management.

Um, they already have all of these, some for decades.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Crappy parts, crappy advertising, crappy bean counters, crappy marketing teams, crappy contracts with labor.

GM has put some entertaining cars on the road. They have also put some lookers on the road.

It's that history of building crap that bites the dust after warranty that bites them in the ass.

Toyota builds great appliances...they're day of building entertaining cars are WAY behind them. Unfortunately GM is chasing the Toyota model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote