Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
OSP in your case for verizon, I would probably look at the Blackberry 8830 if you want a full QWERTY keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I live between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, two large cities with supposedly excellent coverage area for AT&T. I know this because they told me every time I called to complain about dropped calls and my phone going straight to voicemail that I was in an excellent coverage area and shouldn't be having these problems. But still, didn't matter much.

Why an 8830 as opposed to the 8330? Or the eventual 9030? Unless OSP is in a field where a camera phone is a no no, the 8330 is a slightly more capable phone, and the 9030 is going to be even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
just looked to see what was the newest blackberry qwerty out that verizon carries right now.
Quote:
8830 is a nice phone and the keyboard is nice too, but it lacks a camera and is very much geared towards the business client, much more than the 8330 is. The 8330 Curve has all the featuers of the 8830, plus a camera, slightly better battery life, and a little more flash memory. It's slightly smaller too, if that means much of anything. The trade off between the two is the 8330 having a camera and more flash memory, and the 8830 having dual band abilities and a slightly better keyboard.
I'll be honest, I haven't done shit for research on phones yet... One of my minions at work just got a Pearl and it's super fucking money awesome. I like it cause it's not ginormous, but still has the functionality.

Really the only things I want are:

Texting (or email txt)
Internet
Instant email updating (BB rocks)
Camera (quality not a big deal cause it's just cock picks to various girls)
and something that's not as big as my wireless keyboard at home (old ginormous BB's FTL)...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'll be honest, I haven't done shit for research on phones yet... One of my minions at work just got a Pearl and it's super fucking money awesome. I like it cause it's not ginormous, but still has the functionality.

Really the only things I want are:

Texting (or email txt)
Internet
Instant email updating (BB rocks)
Camera (quality not a big deal cause it's just cock picks to various girls)
and something that's not as big as my wireless keyboard at home (old ginormous BB's FTL)...
Then it's between the Pearl and the Curve, as the 8830 lacks a camera. The Curve has a full QWERTY keyboard and the Pearl has a SureType keyboard that's kind of a bastardized version of a QWERTY and a T9 keyboard. Both have the excellent email and texting abilities of the Blackberry line, both have decent internet capabilities. The Pearl is definitely the smaller of the two, but even with a full keyboard the Curve isn't a huge phone. I've had both, and if texting is important to you, I'd lean more towards the full QWERTY of the Curve rather than the SureType setup on the Pearl. The SureType keyboard will hit most of your words no problem in normal texting, but there are a few words that it gets a little hung up on, especially if you swear a lot (like me). I ended up getting the Curve to replace the Pearl because having a full keyboard was something that I really wanted, and it was definitely worth the slightly bigger phone to have.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

JARVIS518 (Phil) and I have verizon. We're on a family plan. Just our 2 phones. 700 minutes/month w/ unlimited text and IN calling (free to all verizon-which most of our friends and family are).

I will never leave verizon. We could probably downgrade on minutes, but 700 is the smallest family plan they offer. I text like a fiend so the unlimited is amazing. If I have a limit, even if it's 10,000, I will go over it. We went without texting for 2 years but when we renewed our contract we added it back in. We both have the enV. It's a great phone. He has orange, I have green. I'd like to upgrade to some sort of blackberry or PDA with a data plan/email/internet, but we still have about a year on our contract so we'll see what they have to offer when the time comes.

Our bill is about $135/mo with all taxes and fees included.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I have T-Mobile 3000 anytime minute 49.99 per month plus $4.99 per month for 400 texts. Also,I can read/reply to my email on my yahoo account so I suppose I could get all my texts as emails. BTW T-Mobile has the BB Flip,

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...-Flip-8220-Red

Which offers WiFi calling,the service from T-Mobile that allows you to make unlimited calls from your home or T-Mobile "Hot Spot" for $9.99 per month. I also think that the Storm is kick ass but I like to carry my phone in my pocket too much for that huge exposed screen...

Oh I almost forgot,there's also the G1 if you're not TOTALLY in love with BB.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...h-Google-White
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flip.jpg (14.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (22.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 02-20-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I have T-Mobile 3000 anytime minute 49.99 per month plus $4.99 per month for 400 texts. Also,I can read/reply to my email on my yahoo account so I suppose I could get all my texts as emails. BTW T-Mobile has the BB Flip,

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...-Flip-8220-Red

Which offers WiFi calling,the service from T-Mobile that allows you to make unlimited calls from your home or T-Mobile "Hot Spot" for $9.99 per month. I also think that the Storm is kick ass but I like to carry my phone in my pocket too much for that huge exposed screen...

Oh I almost forgot,there's also the G1 if you're not TOTALLY in love with BB.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...h-Google-White
WHITE G1?!!!! i got mine free ninety nine but damn im kinda jealous.

im on verizon. my glyde has been rock fucking solid since i brought it in for service. only thing id really consider swapping it for is the bb storm. hey trip, can you run third party apps on those?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #26
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
WHITE G1?!!!! i got mine free ninety nine but damn im kinda jealous.

im on verizon. my glyde has been rock fucking solid since i brought it in for service. only thing id really consider swapping it for is the bb storm. hey trip, can you run third party apps on those?
Yes. Blackberry's run Java programs, so any program written in Java and designed for the Blackberry OS will run on a Storm (and other BB's as well). There's quite an extensive 3rd party offering out there, ranging from the free shit written by regular BB fanatics to the big company offerings that vary in price.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Yes. Blackberry's run Java programs, so any program written in Java and designed for the Blackberry OS will run on a Storm (and other BB's as well). There's quite an extensive 3rd party offering out there, ranging from the free shit written by regular BB fanatics to the big company offerings that vary in price.
nice. only other question i have is about the gsm band. tuned only to european freqs like the world edition i assume?

ill have to do some looking around. a good stable emulator or two might be enough to get me to switch up
TWF Post whore #6
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #28
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
nice. only other question i have is about the gsm band. tuned only to european freqs like the world edition i assume?

ill have to do some looking around. a good stable emulator or two might be enough to get me to switch up
I believe so, though though there are a decent number of people with unlocked Storms running on ATT and Tmobile at EDGE speeds. If you want 3G speed though, you'd be shit outta luck unless you're on EVDO.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

interesting. im surprised verizon would even sell a phone with an uncrippled sim slot. is there wifi on that? i just answered my own question on emus. nes only and badly at that (LAME!) at least if someone did master system i could rock phantasy star
TWF Post whore #6
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
interesting. im surprised verizon would even sell a phone with an uncrippled sim slot. is there wifi on that? i just answered my own question on emus. nes only and badly at that (LAME!) at least if someone did master system i could rock phantasy star
No wifi. As far as I know, there are no Verizon phones, blackberry or otherwise, that are WiFi capable.

There's a new Phantasy Star Universe game being released soon to the PSP, and the Sega Collection features Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 if you're looking for the classics.