Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #31
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
That's fucking hippy crap. You've got to face the brutal facts of reality. I found this article not too long ago...

http://www.slate.com/id/2166211

Positive thinking is the root of all that's complacent, underacheiving, and fundamentally wrong in our society. Think negative, you'll be more productive and less disappointed.
that's an interesting take on things, but i'd much rather dwell on what is right and not what could go wrong. i'm hopelessly optimistic and people like me (and it makes the negative nancys' angry).

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #32
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl View Post
that's an interesting take on things, but i'd much rather dwell on what is right and not what could go wrong. i'm hopelessly optimistic and people like me (and it makes the negative nancys' angry).
Dwelling on what is right allows what is wrong to gain power... The only way to fix what is wrong is to focus your energy on it.

People like me too and optimism doesn't make me angry... I just see it as weakness as it relates to problem solving.

Read that article...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #33
itgirl
is in your head...

dwelling on what is wrong just wills it upon yourself. i read that article, it's bunk. sorry.

face it, i'm a shiney happy person. not gonna change that. thanks though.

kim

Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #34
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
dwelling on what is wrong just wills it upon yourself. i read that article, it's bunk. sorry.
Exactly the opposite... Dwelling on what is wrong allows you to not get swooned by the allure of 'rainbows and butterflies' thinking... It prepares you for the unexpected...

I guess we'll just disagree forever... much like a lot of things I'd imagine. Again though, I just view optimism as an unwillingness to face the brutal facts of reality.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #35
itgirl
is in your head...

if it makes you feel better, i can respect the logic behind that article. but i noticed that when i think of the negatives in life i just feel stressed, overwhelmed, etc. i know life is hard and it sucks 99% of the time. i'm no idiot. it just makes me feel better to think about 'rainbows and butterflies'. can you respect that POV? and it's okay that we disagree. but i do appreciate seeing other points of view and like hearing what you have to share.

kim

Old 04-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #36
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
if it makes you feel better, i can respect the logic behind that article. but i noticed that when i think of the negatives in life i just feel stressed, overwhelmed, etc. i know life is hard and it sucks 99% of the time. i'm no idiot. it just makes me feel better to think about 'rainbows and butterflies'. can you respect that POV? and it's okay that we disagree. but i do appreciate seeing other points of view and like hearing what you have to share.
I really cannot respect that POV... not that I have disrespect for you.

I think that's one of the fundamental problems with our society... There aren't enough people willing to face the truth to come up with real solutions and in turn, we rely on others (ie the government) to bail us out. There's too much 'it won't happen to me' in this country. The burst of the housing bubble is an excellent example.

People were buying houses they couldn't afford with interest only loans like it was going out of style... These retards never bothered to think to themselves, "gee, maybe I won't get that promotion/raise/new job that'll allow me to pay this fucking mortgage in 5 years when the payment goes up by 50%..." Nope. Instead, it was "I'm sure by that time I'll be a fucking rock star, win the lottery, win a big lawsuit (don't even get me started there), or magically gain 20% more income to allow me to pay for this thing."

It goes even beyond that... Positive thinking is certainly more pleasant, but it's non-productive. Negative thinking solves, and more importantly, PREVENTS problems.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #37
itgirl
is in your head...

well, as far as housing goes (and some other big ticket items) i think people are trying to live beyond their means. i agree, you need to be realistic when buying impulse items. but if you always think negatively you'll never find a reason to have nice things, you'll talk yourself out of them.

OSP, you are very philosophical and knowledgeable. you impress me. i can't even begin to debate with you, i'm nowhere near your intellectual equal. i'd look silly. i respect how well spoken and intelligent you are. it makes for very good conversation. all i can say in my defense is that i take life at face value and try to pick out the positive parts. i am by no means a problem solver, so i'll leave the woes of the world up to you to fix. make me proud. and thanks so much for enlightening me. i need to get off the computer and start reading books or something. there is so much i just don't know.

you're pretty cool.

kim

Last edited by itgirl; 04-19-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #38
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
well, as far as housing goes (and some other big ticket items) i think people are trying to live beyond their means. i agree, you need to be realistic when buying impulse items. but if you always think negatively you'll never find a reason to have nice things, you'll talk yourself out of them.

OSP, you are very philosophical and knowledgeable. you impress me. i can't even begin to debate with you, i'm nowhere near your intellectual equal. i'd look silly. i respect how well spoken and intelligent you are. it makes for very good conversation. all i can say in my defense is that i take life at face value and try to pick out the positive parts. i am by no means a problem solver, so i'll leave the woes of the world up to you to fix. make me proud. and thanks so much for enlightening me. i need to get off the computer and start reading books or something. there is so much i just don't know.

you're pretty cool.
Awful negative about yourself.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #39
1hottbikechic
Ninja Hottie

Moto: Sportbikes, MX

I have to say I really liked the Secret and believe alot in what is has to say and the meaning it portrays. I think everyone should watch it then get an opinion about it after the fact.

I have to say I'm a pretty "non-sugar coated" person myself. Alot of things have happened in my life to question the "bubbly" and overly optimistic person I thought I was or used to be. OSP I think you have alot of logic in what your saying, but I have to argue... That if you have a drive behind your optimism, true optimism, and have a willingness to do nothing but see what you want happen, then I feel optimism is real. I think it is possible. I don't think its setting yourself up for failure if your realistic to know that you could always fail, then you never feel disappointment.

Optimism is simply looking on the more favorable side of something, lets not set it up to be more than it really is. OSP like Itgirl said, I think you are very mature and wise certainly beyond your years, but I have to say I have seen things happen to people, that refuse to look at the negative, and its made me more reliant on the future that if you truly believe things can get better, that things can be better for you, then they will. But you have to be a realist.

Last edited by 1hottbikechic; 04-19-2008 at 09:14 PM..
1hottbikechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #40
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hottbikechic View Post
I have to say I really liked the Secret and believe alot in what is has to say and the meaning it portrays. I think everyone should watch it then get an opinion about it after the fact.

I have to say I'm a pretty "non-sugar coated" person myself. Alot of things have happened in my life to question the "bubbly" and overly optimistic person I thought I was or used to be. OSP I think you have alot of logic in what your saying, but I have to argue... That if you have a drive behind your optimism, true optimism, and have a willingness to do nothing but see what you want happen, then I feel optimism is real. I think it is possible. I don't think its setting yourself up for failure if your realistic to know that you could always fail, then you never feel disappointment.

Optimism is simply looking on the more favorable side of something, lets not set it up to be more than it really is. OSP like Itgirl said, I think you are very mature and wise certainly beyond your years, but I have to say I have seen things happen to people, that refuse to look at the negative, and its made me more reliant on the future that if you truly believe things can get better, that things can be better for you, then they will. But you have to be a realist.

you're attractive , you dont have to worry about this sort of stuff.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote