Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #31
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes

Sux about the sliders not making it... but you rode the thing, so I agree with azoom. It's your choice to ride it or not... we all have to weigh the risks every time we ride. I've been in several situations where I've chosen not to ride, even after travelling 600 miles just to get there.

Looks like minimal damage to the bike though. Cosmetics and stuff that us racers figured out to change out long ago. Get that thing rideable and ride the piss out of it, that's what it was built for. These bikes may look perdy when you first get them, but most will end up as a pile of twisted aluminum and steel, so enjoy it while you got it. I'll try and get some pics of my teammates' R6's... they're so trashed, it's surprising they even function, but Ed wins races on his.
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #32
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortness View Post
Sux about the sliders not making it... but you rode the thing, so I agree with azoom. It's your choice to ride it or not... we all have to weigh the risks every time we ride. I've been in several situations where I've chosen not to ride, even after travelling 600 miles just to get there.
Ok, for the last time.. I know I took a risk, I'm not saying it was their fault, just saying I wish they would have got their shit together, it could have saved me a lot of money... damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortness View Post

Looks like minimal damage to the bike though. Cosmetics and stuff that us racers figured out to change out long ago. Get that thing rideable and ride the piss out of it, that's what it was built for. These bikes may look perdy when you first get them, but most will end up as a pile of twisted aluminum and steel, so enjoy it while you got it. I'll try and get some pics of my teammates' R6's... they're so trashed, it's surprising they even function, but Ed wins races on his.
The damage does look minimal.. What do you think I should do besides ordering all the parts to get her running again.. ?
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Give it a good wash and figure out if the frame is just dirty or scratched. Then maybe decide if you'll use it for street duty again.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #34
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Give it a good wash and figure out if the frame is just dirty or scratched. Then maybe decide if you'll use it for street duty again.
That's what I would do. The more track days I started doing, the less and less I give a fuck about how my bike looks on the street. I still wipe it down before every ride, but there's some scratches and stuff I don't care about nearly as much as if it was a street bike only. Fix what you need to fix to get it running solid and see how much money you have to make it pretty/buy crash parts to protect you from another possible crash.

I'm trying to buy Vortex case covers (Ebay) now to protect me from a possible future wreck. Speaking of Vortex and your new bike, Kurt...get me a discount!

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
Ok, for the last time.. I know I took a risk, I'm not saying it was their fault, just saying I wish they would have got their shit together, it could have saved me a lot of money... damn.
Sorry, I was too lazy to read the entire thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
The damage does look minimal.. What do you think I should do besides ordering all the parts to get her running again.. ?
The usual crash parts for a race bike are:
-clipons
-case covers
-rearsets
-frame sliders
-swingarm sliders
-upper fairing bracket
-fairings (duh)
-levers
-possibly front axle sliders
-possibly tank and other miscellaneous sliders (like for an R6 and R1)

Putting all of those on your bike will likely save you a shitload of damage and repair costs when you fall. Plus, you should take off all of the miscellaneous unneeded pieces that are easily removed, like your high/low beam switches, head lights, turn signals, etc. Basically, look at your bike and think about which parts are fragile, which parts stick out, and which parts are completely useless... then take them off. It adds to preparation time if the bike is going to do double duty on the track and on the street... but it'll save you a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I'm trying to buy Vortex case covers (Ebay) now to protect me from a possible future wreck. Speaking of Vortex and your new bike, Kurt...get me a discount!
It looks like Vortex doesn't even make covers for the R6's... Ed mentioned how well the stock cases hold up in crashes. The engine does not really stick out that far. He races without frame sliders too, because the side of the bike is so flat, nothing really sticks out (except the tank if it slides on the top half of the bike).
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #36
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I wonder what I'm bidding on at Ebay then.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #37
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post

Well there's only 1 other TWF'er there that I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yep, I will let him tell the story. He is fine, bike isn't.

awwww man.
you guys talkin' about ceo?

him too?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

lets let CEO tell the story... when he finally logs in...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #39
t-homo
WSB Champion

It will be a while then.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #40
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
It will be a while then.
No shit. Could be weeks till that asshole posts.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote