Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #51
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I will now refer to you as Dr. Wackadoo and nothing else.

Good day Dr. Wackadoo!
Whatever. You make BS claims about how "teachers do it for the love", despite in the very first post is an article about teachers who are in it for the money.

And again how fucking hard it is to teach? Starting pay for a Cop or Firefighter in Georgia is about $26k. Starting for teacher? $34k. Do you think that being a teacher is harder and more dangerous than being a cop? If you believe that then you are an idiot and most likely a government teacher.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #52
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Just because a person wants to be fairly compensated for their work does not mean they are only in it for the money. I love teaching, but if I was not paid well I would go find another job that I enjoyed with kids that paid better. Enough said. I did not go to University for 6 years and pour my heart into my job to be paid like crap.

Smittie61984. Most often the hardest part of teaching is not the actual teaching itself. It is everything that is placed on top of you in addition to the actual 6 hours or so you spend in a classroom with the students. To be a good teacher there is a lot of planning, every year you revamp your lessons, you reflect on what went well, what needs to be changed, what will work with this particular group of kids and what wont. You are parents defacto, especially in inner city areas. From this article it is apparent that this is the case here and that they are quite transient, which means no matter how hard you work likely a third of your class is transferring in from another school and will not benefit from your hard work anyhow. I also know that my kids in Texas were more worried about if there was food when they got home, or if they were going to be beaten, than they were about how they scored on a test. It's a different world.

I also think that Cops and Firemen should make wages that reflect the fact that they risk their lives for the public every day. It's pretty pathetic that the guy who picks up my garbage would make more than they do. ( P.S. here, a cop with a few years experience makes a LOT more than I do, and I am not complaining about what I make)

Last edited by sherri_chickie; 03-03-2010 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: punctuation
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #53
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
Just because a person wants to be fairly compensated for their work does not mean they are only in it for the money.
In this case the teachers were offered $30/hour, which they rejected. Their union demanded $90/hour. That is a more aggressive demand than simply wanting to be "fairly compensated".

For all: I introduced the $30/hour vs. $90/hour without a source and it isn't mentioned in the original post or most articles covering the story. Below is a link for reference.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/rhode-islan...ory?id=9911693
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #54
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

County cops around here average 100K a year.
Lets not forget the obscene benefits (including retirement) they get for just 20 years service.
Teachers (HS) average about 70K I think but it's probably higher.

We have a volunteer FD. I have no idea how it all works but they do get extra tax breaks.

County Cops for the most part act like they are part of the community and tend to treat people with respect (unlike the US vs the Civilians nonsense the rest of you seem happy with)

Our Schools are very good but NCLB has really dumbed things down and screwed us over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #55
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Lets not forget the obscene benefits (including retirement) they get for just 20 years service.
I hardly call retirement and benefits 'obscene' for a person who put their life on the line for 20 years. And I dont even really like cops.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #56
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Whatever. You make BS claims about how "teachers do it for the love", despite in the very first post is an article about teachers who are in it for the money.

And again how fucking hard it is to teach? Starting pay for a Cop or Firefighter in Georgia is about $26k. Starting for teacher? $34k. Do you think that being a teacher is harder and more dangerous than being a cop? If you believe that then you are an idiot and most likely a government teacher.
So people should starve, so that they can raise other people's kids? No, that isn't a reasonable argument. Not any more than is yours.

So that's what the starting pay is. What is it after 5 years? Ten?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #57
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
I should certainly hope so, with that cost of living.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #58
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Teachers (HS) average about 70K I think but it's probably higher.

We have a volunteer FD. I have no idea how it all works but they do get extra tax breaks.

County Cops for the most part act like they are part of the community and tend to treat people with respect (unlike the US vs the Civilians nonsense the rest of you seem happy with)

Our Schools are very good but NCLB has really dumbed things down and screwed us over.

I'm one of those benefits peoples you mentioned, 8 years left until i start leeching off the system

My dad also is a vol firefighter, he gets all kinds of tax breaks, any costs that he can associate with the fire company is a tax write off, plus they are going to give him a $500/month retirement if he does 20 years volunteer service with them, it kicks in at 65, and he gets an extra $100/month for every 5 years he does after his first 20.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #59
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
So people should starve, so that they can raise other people's kids? No, that isn't a reasonable argument. Not any more than is yours.

So that's what the starting pay is. What is it after 5 years? Ten?
No, but if they don't like the pay then they can go somewhere else. Or here is a wild idea! They can get together and start their own school. If they are such great teachers then they shouldn't have any problems getting students and charging them $90 an hour. Problem is that most teachers haven't spent 1 minute in the private sector. They went through HS, College, and Grad school (for some) living completely off their parents and probably struggle with balancing a check book, much less a business where they are actually held responsible for their actions (which is why they are probably government school teachers).

I hope there is a follow up story on this school a year or two from now. My guess is there will be improvement and it'll prove how shitty teachers unions are and those sorry ass teachers were.

I think after 20 some odd years on the police force you can bring in about $45k. $55k if you are college educated. That's providing you haven't been killed.

AVERAGE pay for teachers in Georgia is about $50k. Oh yeah, you're not getting shot at and I don't give a fuck what anyone says, you get summers off and can make more money working a summer job.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #60
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

And in New York a school teacher might have as much chance of being shot as does a cop

Saying that a cop or fireman is more important than a school teacher is a straw man. They do different jobs that are no less valuable to each other in society.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote