Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #71
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Dude, seriously shut the fuck up and go back to flipping burgers.

Unlike that mechanic, a failure in my position means I compromise the ability of a nuclear plant to shutdown in the event of accidents not a pissed off customer. I deal with safety related power distribution systems on a daily basis. This is real world, not theory.
You're wasting your time. I tried to explain how a closed basic hydraulic system works, I was basically told I was an idiot.

And much like you, if my hydraulic knowledge isn't up to snuff, people die. Considering I'm an engineer on a warship.

What do we know? We don't "RACE" motorcycles..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #72
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:

If a nuke plant goes up, I don't think I would want to work at one anymore anyway.
My first thought was "damn, i'll kinda miss him tho". Bwahahahaha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You're wasting your time. I tried to explain how a closed basic hydraulic system works, I was basically told I was an idiot.

And much like you, if my hydraulic knowledge isn't up to snuff, people die. Considering I'm an engineer on a warship.

In his defense, I dont think he was the one who made that comment. I beleive that one can be attributed to Tigger. Just saying.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #73
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #74
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I'm a terrible -1th and 7th gear shifter. I need a gear indicator.
I thought I wanted a gear indicator...but now I don't think I do.

Currently my speedometer is broken, my turn signal light does not work, and I have no gear indicator...but I also rarely look down while riding which is good.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #75
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen View Post
I thought I wanted a gear indicator...but now I don't think I do.

Currently my speedometer is broken, my turn signal light does not work, and I have no gear indicator...but I also rarely look down while riding which is good.
I wish I didn't. I'm forever looking down to check the speedo. Everytime I see a speed limit sign, I've caught myself glancing down. I've often thought of taking the damn thing off the bike.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #76
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I wish I didn't. I'm forever looking down to check the speedo. Everytime I see a speed limit sign, I've caught myself glancing down. I've often thought of taking the damn thing off the bike.
I used to try and read my speedometer...but it takes me a good 5-6 seconds to figure out what it says which I figured was not too safe! I have trained myself to not look at it...which hopefully will not bite me in the ass if/when I get a new bike.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #77
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:

Unlike that mechanic, a failure in my position means I compromise the ability of a nuclear plant to shutdown in the event of accidents not a pissed off customer. I deal with safety related power distribution systems on a daily basis. This is real world, not theory.
"We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?"

Well, let's just say if the car is running, it has more potential to damage the electronics or other things on the bike, but maybe I'm over simplifying here, (I'm a practicing EE to, but if I screw up, only big transformers just burn up not whole nuke plants). Batteries do not "push" current, the components "pull" current.....you know what, nevermind, just not worth it.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #78
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

I've tried for 6th a few times on the ZR1100. It could use it but it's not there

It's really confusing jumping back on the triples. Instead of 1 down and 4 up, it's neutral on the bottom and all 5 up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I have 6th in *my* cage. I've thought about it a time or two in Carolina's car, but where my 6th is, would be her reverse. That would be ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Tracy nearly did that in my car... except if he had "found" it, the transmission probably would have eaten itself since he would have thrown it into reverse.

ETA: JINX!!
Bad things happen. My friend Kurt is a part owner of Phoenix Performance. They build race cars, mostly corvettes.

A few years back they were running the 24 Hours of Daytona and the corvette driver wound out 6th gear and went for 7th. The company that rebuilt the transmission didn't install the reverse lockout and the driver was able to shift into reverse.

Lets just say when you let the clutch back out in reverse doing well in excess of 150 mph ( probably closer to 170 ) you don't stay in control of the vehicle but instead spin wildly until you stop.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #79
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I had to jump my bike many times... If only there was a device to keep your battery charged while it sits...

Anyways car on... Car off... No issues for me...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #80
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:

yes, you work with materials that are manufactured to a much higher degree than the stuff they put on a motorcycle.

I am that mechanic, I haven't flipped burgers since working in the mid 80's.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote