Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #81
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
The parts spinning in the engine all act like gyroscopes, so even if a 1000 and 600 weighed the same, all other things being equal, the 1000 would still be less nimble and slower to bend into corners.
Okay, displacement is governed by cylinder size which has no gyroscopic effect that I know of. I always thought that the crank and fly wheel were the main gyro culprits. Theoretically, a 600 or a 1000 "could" have the same sized crank couldn't they? Also, don't engine designers purposefully install larger than necessary fly wheels to produce a desired effect which would increase the gyroscopic effect, right? I always thought that race engine builders typically "lightened the crank" to reduce gyro effect and increase hp. I'm not sure, you seem to be the resident expert. Oh and don't discuss "gyro" effect around all these new V-Twin-aphiliacs around here.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #82
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Okay, displacement is governed by cylinder size which has no gyroscopic effect that I know of. I always thought that the crank and fly wheel were the main gyro culprits. Theoretically, a 600 or a 1000 "could" have the same sized crank couldn't they? Also, don't engine designers purposefully install larger than necessary fly wheels to produce a desired effect which would increase the gyroscopic effect, right? I always thought that race engine builders typically "lightened the crank" to reduce gyro effect and increase hp. I'm not sure, you seem to be the resident expert. Oh and don't discuss "gyro" effect around all these new V-Twin-aphiliacs around here.
Technically a 600 and 1000 could have a crank with the same weight and throws, but then the motor on the 1000 would have to be wider to accomodate the bigger bores needed to make up for the extra displacement.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #83
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Okay, displacement is governed by cylinder size which has no gyroscopic effect that I know of. I always thought that the crank and fly wheel were the main gyro culprits.
Bigger cylinders/displacement needs bigger pistons or longer throws. Both of which weigh more on their own and need more counterweight to balance the crank.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 AM   #84
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Cause the salesman actually made you think that your penis was bigger than it really is.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #85
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
lol I swear I'm not following you around..

I used to think the larger crank and pistons would make for larger centrifugal force to offset, BUT! Litres rev lower. The couple thousand rpm difference may actually make those forces closer than most people think.

I have no hard facts to back this up, just something I was thinking about one day..
Engine speed doesn't make it turn slower or faster. It is the weight of the reciprocating mass.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #86
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Engine speed doesn't make it turn slower or faster. It is the weight of the reciprocating mass.

Engine speed is directly related to the speed that the internal components are spinning. And the faster you spin it, the stronger the gyroscopic forces are.

Put 50lb weight on the end of a rope and spin it at 50rpm. Now put a 40lb weight and spin it at 100rpm. The 40lb weight WILL have a higher centrifugal, and gyroscopic effect. (same length ropes btw).

Last edited by Tmall; 11-15-2009 at 08:40 AM..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #87
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

101, I thought you were an engineer. How do you keep failing at basic physics concepts?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #88
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
101, I thought you were an engineer. How do you keep failing at basic physics concepts?
I don't know, I barely finished High School and I know that "gyroscopic effect" involves things that spin and not things that go up and down.... besides, if we really want to get into it, let's talk about materials, manufacturing techniques, etc. Potentially, my GSXR1000 may have lighter pistons, rods, etc than some 600s which would negate the premise that it would require a heavier crank. Not to mention the fact that the engine turns slower and the entire bike could possibly weigh the same or even less than a 600... Oh and what's this about the engine having to be "wider"? Displacement is determined by cylindrical volume which is calculated using cylinder radius and height. Who's to say that the 1000 motor isn't slightly taller? Okay, I'll increase my cylinder bores by 1mm in width and 7mm in height (approx) what's wrong with that? Maybe, I'll invent some cool new ceramic coating to put on my cylinders which will allow me to make the sleeves thinner without compromising engine durability....

Basically, it's a bullshit statement to say that an 1000 can't enter a corner just as fast as a 600 in every case... I guarantee that my 1000 can enter a corner just as fast or faster than oh a CBR600F2 with the same rider on both... I guess I need to go to engineering school to be able to figure this out.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #89
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

HAHA I never said a 1000 can't enter a corner as fast as a 600. I ment it as a rider that does not have the "balls" to carry speed through a corner can always ham fist the 1000 on the way back out to make up for lost time. I see it all the time. Guys break checking on their 1000s so I run up their ass then gunning it out of the turn so there is little to no chance I can pass them on a straight. One guy almost wrecked himself on his "big-bore" breaking hard into a sweeper then when I tried to pass he drag raced me forcing me back into my lane behind him. I was not happy. He wrecked it the following weekend.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)

Last edited by HokieDNA01; 11-15-2009 at 04:20 PM..
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #90
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Get it straight..

Those are actually British.