Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Rider
Moto GP Star

I believe Ford is closing for 3 weeks as well.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Just what do you think will happen if they all close?

Do you think that'll cost less than a bailout loan?
Yup. I dont believe the bailout on the auto industry will ever end.

I also believe that those jobs will be replaced by people working in the states for Toyota, Honda, etc at wages/benefits more inline with industry standards and proportional to their experience/education. As demand grows, so will the other automakers who are actually modern and progressive not thinking what it was like 50 years ago. "Back in my day sonny...."

n
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post

I also believe that those jobs will be replaced by people working in the states for Toyota, Honda, etc at wages/benefits more inline with industry standards and proportional to their experience/education. As demand grows, so will the other automakers who are actually modern and progressive not thinking what it was like 50 years ago. "Back in my day sonny...."
And in the meanwhile people default on mortgages, auto loans, etc. and the economy takes a major dump, possibly to Great Depression levels.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And in the meanwhile people default on mortgages, auto loans, etc. and the economy takes a major dump, possibly to Great Depression levels.
1M jobs (as proclaimed by the auto industry) vs a country with 300M+ people? Not the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Have you looked at Toyota and Honda's sales figures the last couple months?
Have you seen that they arent asking for bailouts?
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:

Have you looked at Toyota and Honda's sales figures the last couple months?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Quote:
guess alot more people are going to be around to stick out their hands asking for some bailout money.
You are getting the auto industry confused with AIG

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

AIG was different, b/c its failure would have brought down our entire financial system. They had counterparties in banking, insurance, investment banking, trading houses, etc., and the govt. had to step in to prevent a total meltdown.

BTW, the TARP funds have already generated over 3% return in the first 30 days or so - not bad!

Tomorrow is my last day in the office until 1/2/09, and this is the 12th yr. in a row I've taken this time off. My company, which practically shuts down between Christmas and New Year, is certainly being impacted by the economy, but we're still liquid, profitable, and not looking for handouts.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post

Tomorrow is my last day in the office until 1/2/09, and this is the 12th yr. in a row I've taken this time off. My company, which practically shuts down between Christmas and New Year, is certainly being impacted by the economy, but we're still liquid, profitable, and not looking for handouts.
is this vac. or is your co. just shutting down?

thats the difference, the auto industry shuts down, pays these people and then pays them for x weeks of vacation on top of that. CRAZY!
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

thats the difference, the auto industry shuts down, pays these people and then pay them for x weeks of vacation on top of that. CRAZY!
Usually 5 of those days (out of the 11 or so for the year) are company holidays. We get all the big holidays like 4th of July, mem, labr, t-giving, but skip the bs ones like presidents day to save up for dec.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

thats the difference, the auto industry shuts down, pays these people and then pays them for x weeks of vacation on top of that. CRAZY!
This is sounding less like business expertise and more like jealousy over people having more vacation time than you do

The company my Mom works for also shuts down from Christmas week until after New Year's, and has for the twenty-odd years she's worked there. The owner is German (dual-citizenship), and takes a more European view on vacation time. It's not unheard-of.

Chrysler has a surplus of vehicles waiting to be sold. There's no point in running at full capacity right now.

Meanwhile, it's generally not a good idea to tell your employees that they're going to be taking a month of mandatory unpaid time-off starting- SURPRISE!- next week. People work because they need an income. If they lose a month of pay, when you start back up, you're going to be missing a lot of your best workers.

Now, without a Union contract, the company would indeed be free to tell its workers "Hey, guess what- your monthly budget is about to be cut in half! Merry Christmas, hope Santa brings you enough to cover the mortgage and electric for the month".

I'm sure that sounds just super to you, but there are quite a few people out there who would prefer not to have that happen...
unknownroad is offline   Reply With Quote