Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

WOW!
congrats Neebs!

i'm not around here as much as i want, didn't know you got a newer bike.
looks great, enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
My buddy has the same color R1...they really are gorgeous in personl.
It is a spectacular color... I like it much better than a "true" red. In the sunlight, it's just

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR Rider View Post
It's the right bike as long as you are only doing 12.5 mile trips, anything over that and it is going to kill you. Just kidding.

Congrats on the new bike. They are nice.
Actually I put about 154 miles on her today. If not for the HUGE temperature drop and the fact that I was soaked to the skin, it probably would've been pretty comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaan1 View Post
WOW!
congrats Neebs!

i'm not around here as much as i want, didn't know you got a newer bike.
looks great, enjoy it.
Thanks!! Yup just got her Sunday!
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

congrats on the ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 1

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

What are some impressions after the first couple hundred miles?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
What are some impressions after the first couple hundred miles?
Just as enthusiastic as the first 25 miles. I put over 370 miles on her this weekend.

The thing that impresses me is that no matter what gear I'm in, when I want the power, it's there, with no delay. In particular, 2nd gear will take your ass out from under you if you're not ready for it.

Case in point: I'm in 2nd gear, merging into traffic on the way home from work last week, and had a choice of either being stuck behind a semi that was kicking up rocks at me, or giving her a good twist and getting over in front of a Suburban in the fast lane and getting the hell outta dodge. I chose that route. Chris had warned me the front end can get light, esp if your weight isn't down over the front wheel, so I hunkered down and twisted - and she went off like a rocket.

This is what drove home the point that liter bikes aren't beginner bikes (for anyone who hadn't quite grasped that concept ). I told Chris had I been on this bike and done that two years ago? It would have scared the shit out of me. Seriously. Just the immediacy of the response would have startled me to no end. (What's that saying -- a 600cc bike can kill you, but a 1000cc bike WANTS to kill you? ).

I did spend a good portion of the ride yesterday dropped back a bit from the group, so I could try out the response in different gears -- just rolling on from a good clip to see where the power lies.

She is a very warm natured bike (esp compared to the Kawi, which was very cold natured). Saturday earlier in the ride, when it was 80+ degrees out, my rear and legs were plenty toasty, but in colder weather, she hovers down around 165 degrees.

Surprisingly, in spite of the # of miles I put on this weekend, it was overall very very comfortable. I wouldn't mind adding some weighted bar ends eventually, just to cut down on the little bit of vibration (it's not THAT bad, but I wouldn't mind cutting it down a bit). And adjustable rearsets might not be a bad idea either (by the time I got home from Saturday's ride, my right knee was pretty cramped).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote