Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.
Default Thoughts on a bike for a first time rider?

No, this isn't for me. Unfortunately. My daughter's boyfriend is looking to buy a bike, used, and I told him I would ask you guys for your thoughts. He is NOT one of those stupid kids who wants to buy a Busa or anything like it for his first bike, thank God!

By the way, he's about 6'2" so he'll need something comfy for someone taller. He's been doing a lot of looking on craigslist and my concern is that he doesn't know what to look for in a used bike to try and be certain that he's getting a good deal. I know a lot of people say that its a waste to get a 250, even for a first bike, because their opinion is it will be outgrown quickly, but he's not interested in being a speed demon, he just wants something to have fun on and to commute on. He's thankfully very mature for a 25 year old. Maybe 'cause he's an EMT and knows that bikes can be dangerous in the hands of stupid people, and because of stupid people in cars.

So, all tips and suggestions are welcome! He said so far he likes the look of naked bikes (I mentioned looking for an SV 650, I know a couple tallish guys who ride them) and he also saw a Buell Blast he likes the looks of. I have no idea what to tell him to look for though, in terms of having a clue if a bike has been dropped or otherwise damaged.

Thanks in advance!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I think the Ninja 500 would be an excellent beginner/commuter bike, I'm on the tall side of 6'2" and used the 500 to commute 60 miles daily and enjoyed every minute of it. Very comfortable!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
was92v
Nowhere Man

EX500 Ninja. I would normally say a 250 Ninja is an excellent starter, but 6'2" might get a bit cramped. The 500 has enough power to do anything on the street, is large enough to haul a tall rider in comfort, good used pricing and insurance is reasonable. And they look good too.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

OK, so, you're bothing saying Kawi, which is cool and helpful.

How about tips on what to look for though, for someone who doesn't know what to look for when buying used? Oh, and, thank you!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
I think the Ninja 500 would be an excellent beginner/commuter bike, I'm on the tall side of 6'2" and used the 500 to commute 60 miles daily and enjoyed every minute of it. Very comfortable!
I'm going to second this recommendation. I owned THREE EX500's, they're very good entry/intermediate level bikes. Not overly powerful, but not a complete pig requiring super high rpms to keep up with traffic either.

Alternately, a GS500E or F is a good choice, although you have to check the oil every time you go to ride because like all air cooled bikes, they burn oil.

I like both bikes, although suspension/frame wise, the GS is leaps and bounds ahead as you can retrofit a dual disc Katana front end to them and utilize better front suspension from that, plus GSXR and Katana rear shocks offering more than preload only for adjustments.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
was92v
Nowhere Man

If a bike has been crashed (MOST 250s & 500s have been, a little) you can look at handle bar ends and levers for scrapes, engine side covers and the side panels and grab bar sides around the back of the seat. When sitting on the seat compare the angle of the bars to see if they look the same, ie; angle back and down. The bars on an EX500 are not adjustable so if one is angled back or down more than the other, it is bent. Look closely at that side of the bike. With the bike sitting upright, (I believe the EX has a center stand) and the front wheel pointing straight look at the forks from both sides and visually assess that they are vertically straight, as in the same angle from the top to the bottom of the fork. Look down through the top of the fairing, or/and from the bottom up, at the fork stop tabs on the lower triple tree and the frame and make sure they are not deformed or hammered looking where the lower meets the frame. If one side is pounded, look it over closely, if both side are beat up, so is the bike, regardless of how it looks now. If either side is broken or re-welded on it was either stolen, or crashed Really HARD at some point. If you see no damage, it looks good, is clean, chain lubed, starts and runs good, then it probably is good. Test ride it if you can. If a test ride is not allowed, ask the owner if they will start it on the center stand and run it through the gears at a moderate RPM to make sure the transmission and clutch operate ok, and it doesn't smoke or leak. That is really about all you can do. After that it is just a crap shoot.

You can also look at the NE Rally pics of Derf's brother's EX500 and get an idea of where to look for crash damage...

Last edited by was92v; 10-11-2009 at 12:18 AM..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

SV. Most versatile bike in the world.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

sv 650 after he learns how to crash a dirt bike
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

500 Ninja... anyone who can't have fun on one, shouldn't be on two wheels.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
SV. Most versatile bike in the world.
Agreed!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote