Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Dime Quarter > Elite Trackdays

Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I think he means how do you know how's hitting 12000RPM and who's hitting 12500... ya know?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
I think he means how do you know how's hitting 12000RPM and who's hitting 12500... ya know?
Ah - it's more of a "race to the corner" rule. As it's explained, the intent is to have people maintain a consistent and smooth lap rather than parking it in the corners and binning it in the straights.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

ahh ok... gotcha...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
exactly what i meant, thats how i interpreted the rule the way she said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Ah - it's more of a "race to the corner" rule. As it's explained, the intent is to have people maintain a consistent and smooth lap rather than parking it in the corners and binning it in the straights.
...but apparently i misunderstood it. gd idea though, parkin in the corners causes accidents
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by baninja View Post
Just because there is no "race group" doesn't mean there aren't fast riders in group 2. In fact, a good number of the people that run in group 2 are licensed racers. IIRC passing is allowed in the straights for the morning sessions in group 2. Passing while entering a turn or on the exit of a turn is usually allowed in the afternoon sessions for group 2 only. Moira can correct me if I'm wrong. Stuffing another rider (mid turn passing) is not needed during a trackday. If the rider is truly fast he/she will find a safe place to pass if they need too. My 12 year old son has never had an issue on his RS85 or his RS125, and he passes 85% of the riders in group 2. A racer on a SV650 or 1000 shouldn't have a problem either.
I concur. I was just pointing out the need to be in a race group or an actual race if you REALLY need/want to pass in the corners. I am a former CMRA racer and I run 2nd group when I am on my street equipped bike. When I am fully race prepped and have proper rubber I run race group.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
ilVoce
Aprilia Brand Whore

Moto: Aprilia RSV-R Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
...but apparently i misunderstood it. gd idea though, parkin in the corners causes accidents
Yes. Yes it does.
ilVoce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

parking it on the corners is for people who don't have theability to be smooth around the track or can't make their bike turn... in which case they are in over their head.

Last track day i rode in, my instructor thought my zx10 was a 600 as easily as i was throwing it around
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
was92v
Nowhere Man

My first and last track day with street riders ended when some dude parked going into a 100MPH turn, right on the fast line.
I missed him but I took a long slide, got a hole in my arm that showed bone and a twisted bike in the process. Would have been nice if he had at least looked me up and said sorry...
I think he was afraid I might be unfriendly about it. Someone said he was a worried that I might be unhappy about it. I didn't even ask who it was.

Actually I was disappointed that my bike was bent, but thats a risk you take and after all I was the one riding the thing. I didn't really get all that upset, but I never went to another track day unless it was a race practice with racers only.

Now, more than a decade later, I'm thinking about doing one, maybe.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #29
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Is passing allowed? In Group 2 - yes. In Group 1 - online I will tell you no.

I'll have to keep that in mind

I know you can't say cus its on here, but I'm taking this as basically a situation of, if you're in group 1 you shouldnt pass, BUT if you know what you're doing, and are consistantly smooth and safe, its tolerable...
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

I am hoping to come down to Tally and wave flags for Elite at the end of the month with a friend of mine who did some corner work last year.

I've ridden with NESBA, STT, PTT, Ed Bargy Racing School, and Reg Pridmore CLASS.

All of them have slight variations on the rules, but the rules are there for safety. I've seen a guy get a helicopter ride out of Barber, seen ambulances haul people away too. I don't want to be one of them.

I remind myself that the point of a track day is to have fun and work on skills....not to be the fastest guy on the track or set the track record lap time. There are no trophies at the end of a track day.

If I get behind someone who is a "parker".....wide open in the straights and parks it in the corner....and I can't safely pass him. I'll simply ride through hot pit.

Having ridden in novice, intermediate, and advanced groups....I can tell you that I feel the advanced group is the safer group. I'm typically mid pack in the intermediate group, and one of the slower guys (if not the slowest) in the advanced group, but I feel safer riding with the more advanced riders.

I like the idea of riders having to be evaluated before they are allowed to bump up. If you're a good, safe, smooth rider, you don't need to be fast to ride in the advanced group. As long as you hold your line and don't do anything stupid (and don't get spooked by close passes), then that's the best place to be. But if you're all over the place, running wide in the turns, not running a consistent line, etc.....even if you're fast as hell....things happen REAL fast at 100+mph. Best not to be the cause of someone riding the helicopter.
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote