Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Default School Me On Track Days

I might actually be able to pull off a track day (or two) this season. My track has a Rider's School for $200 that I'll probably go to first (it might even be required). After that, weekend track days are $175/day.

Anyway, how inconvenient is it to ride your bike to the track, carrying all your supplies in say, a backpack? Tape for the lights, etc. I'm not toally sure what all I'll need. What are the essentials?

I don't have a truck or a trailer, so that's pretty much out of the question.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I would do anything and everything I could to find a ride to that trackday.

Not only is it incredibly inconvenient to only bring what you could carry on a backpack, but what happens if you wad your bike up? How do you get home?

BAD idea.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
jtemple
Geek

Well, in the event of a bike wadding, I can make some phone calls. I know a person or two that can haul my bike. I just don't want to ask them to come to my trackdays.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Yep, definitely do your best to find a way to haul the bike there. Anyone with a trailer or truck with room for 2 (or more) bikes will probably be willing to split gas costs. You'll be whupped afterward, and facing a long ride in that condition is no fun. And like Kell mentioned, if you wad your bike, you can't ride it home.

What you need to bring kinda depends on what the organizers are going to provide. At a minimum, I'd suggest bringing water, snacks, a chair, basic tools and some extra gas. There are a ton of other "nice to have" items, but I think that covers the basics.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Yep, definitely do your best to find a way to haul the bike there. Anyone with a trailer or truck with room for 2 (or more) bikes will probably be willing to split gas costs. You'll be whupped afterward, and facing a long ride in that condition is no fun. And like Kell mentioned, if you wad your bike, you can't ride it home.

What you need to bring kinda depends on what the organizers are going to provide. At a minimum, I'd suggest bringing water, snacks, a chair, basic tools and some extra gas. There are a ton of other "nice to have" items, but I think that covers the basics.
Edit: Depending how far away you are, calling someone may or may not be a good option if you wad your bike. If it happens late in the day, and the track is a good distance from your buddy, you'll be a pain in the ass to the organizers who just want to go home at the end of the day.

Damn, wrong button.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
jtemple
Geek

The track is about 30 minutes away from me, and anyone else I know that would be willing to come scrape me up off the pavement. The ride hom afterward, even while tired, would be a piece of cake. My one and only real riding buddy doesn't have a truck to haul bikes in.

What I may do is watch one of the local riding groups and find out when they're going, and see if I can bum a ride. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
ride your bike to the track

Aside from the taping, there's a whole world of things (to ME) that are "must-have's" at the track, and one of those is a place to SIT DOWN. Kinda hard to put even a collapsible chair on your back for a ride to the track.

I will admit though, that I’m a boy scout when it comes to track days and take enough tools and parts to build a second friggin bike most of the time.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
The track is about 30 minutes away from me, and anyone else I know that would be willing to come scrape me up off the pavement. The ride hom afterward, even while tired, would be a piece of cake. My one and only real riding buddy doesn't have a truck to haul bikes in.

What I may do is watch one of the local riding groups and find out when they're going, and see if I can bum a ride. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out.
You'll be fine.

Those of us that have hosted or worked at numerous trackdays (azoom, oreo, ceo, racerboy, jgalt, me, etc) can tell you of dozens of riders we have seen to the ride to-ride-ride home bit.

Is it ideal? No.

Can it be done? Easily.

I would definitely buddy up with someone at the track (beforehand if possible) so you "know" someone there in the worst case scenario.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Rent yourself a u-haul truck or cargo van or minivan or bum a pickup from a buddy. Most sportbikes will fit easily into a short bed pickup, and with a little work into a minivan missing it's rear seat.

Take water and snacks and fuel.

Take a toolbox. Enough to adjust your chain, swap out a clipon or lever, and remove bodywork and mirrors.

Riding in and then adjusting your chain, suspension, removing mirrors, etc. is a lot more hassle. You'll also need to get in even earlier to prep for tech.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

We've had some folks ride in for track days, but most are veterans or know other folks that they're meeting up with at the track. You're best bet is to post up on your local boards to see if anyone is going to the track day, and offer to split costs for gas, food, drinks, hotel (if needed), etc. in exchange for hauling you, the bike and your gear to and from the track.

You'll have someone to share the excitement of the day, lap times, etc., and you both have backup in case someone wads up their bike and needs help getting home. You make new friends, and get hooked on track days. Sounds like a good adventure. :-)
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote