Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #61
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
Lol probably right thats why i suggested msf first

It's really nothing personal. It's just most people learn better when there isn't emotional pressure. That emotion can create a hostile learning environment - that doesn't mean "angry" it just means not conducive to learning.

I tell most people, women and men, go take the MSF FIRST. Then get your idea of which bike / style you want to invest in. There are many people that start on something they would have thought twice about if they would have taken the MSF and puttered around on those kick ass little bikes first.

Hell, there have been people that took the MSF and decided riding wasn't for them...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #62
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

i agree completely
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #63
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
shes against learning in the dirt and is very open to the idea of a 250 (afraid she cant lift a bigger bike if/when she wrecks) so i may cave and teach her on a kawi 250
Why is she against learning in the dirt? It so much more fun than pavement, but i'm biased here.

Umm i can't pick up my little Dr200. But i don't offroad alone because of that reason. If she's on the street, all she has to do is take off her helmet and a bunch of guys will be flocking to pick it up for her. Heck even if she doesn't take off her helmet, guys will still come and help out.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #64
annawil
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I guess I'm just clueless when it comes to this hill talk. I tippy-toe on my bike but don't think I have any problems when it comes to hills. So I just don't get it.
For me it's completely a practice issue.

I'd never driven a stickshift before the bike, and I simply wasn't used to it. I always remember to pull in the clutch when coming to a stop....but I've been known to not completely downshift....then trying to startup in say 3rd and killing it. I don't need things to start rolling around down a hill on top of all that if I can't quite reach the ground. (Not that I'm likely to save it anyway should I start to go over. But, at least I have a bit better of a chance of the bike not falling directly on top of me....or maybe I'd just like to think that).

Then there's the whole possibility of not quite getting my tippytoes down quite right and just keep on tipping all the way over. Which is possible hill or no hill.

Maybe someday when I've been riding longer it won't be as big of a deal to me. But, now just isn't that day.

Last edited by annawil; 04-16-2009 at 02:21 AM..
annawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #65
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by annawil View Post

I'd never driven a stickshift before the bike, and I simply wasn't used to it. I always remember to pull in the clutch when coming to a stop....but I've been known to not completely downshift....then trying to startup in say 3rd and killing it. I don't need things to start rolling around down a hill on top of all that if I can't quite reach the ground. (Not that I'm likely to save it anyway should I start to go over. But, at least I have a bit better of a chance of the bike not falling directly on top of me....or maybe I'd just like to think that).
Do you use your back brake to keep from rolling back when you're on top of the hill?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #66
annawil
Trailer Queen

Yup, but balancing a bike on one tippy toe just isn't and ideal situation for me. I'm fully willing to admit that I tend to over think situations being a Safety Engineer and all. But, it really does all come down to me not being comfortable with the situation unless I can get at least the balls of my feet down. Tippy tip toes just feels too unstable for me.
annawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #67
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

you can get a bike for your girl? She must be something special.

I'd trade immediately.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #68
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

It's really nothing personal. It's just most people learn better when there isn't emotional pressure. That emotion can create a hostile learning environment - that doesn't mean "angry" it just means not conducive to learning.

I tell most people, women and men, go take the MSF FIRST. Then get your idea of which bike / style you want to invest in. There are many people that start on something they would have thought twice about if they would have taken the MSF and puttered around on those kick ass little bikes first.

Hell, there have been people that took the MSF and decided riding wasn't for them...
Agree! I took my MSF course and learned the basics of riding in a parking lot It did help a lot and I highly recommend it for all new riders. The first time I rode in front of Jeeps I was a nervous wreck. Even though he was very supportive I was so nervous about doing something wrong or just plain stupid in front of him that I was literally shaking. Not sure I would have done it without the MSF course basics under my belt. Now I can be a stuipd newb and we can both laugh at my stupidity
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #69
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im with the group. MSF, take her and let her sit on bikes and see whats comfortable! If she's not comfortable, she'll never get complete enjoyment and the thrill of a good ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
*grin*

Here's the fun part - learning to ride on a motorcycle you're comfortable with is half the win. I know plenty of vertically challenged individuals - men and women alike that ride most anything they'd like. HEIGHT and inseam isn't the issue. It's comfort level with the weight management - being able to hold it up, move it around, turn, etc.

The rest of it is wrapped in emotion.
I wish more people understood this! People let things intimidate them needlessly, if you arent 100% comfortable and confident in your skills, the whole height and inseam thing will get ya every time! 2 of the best female riders I've ever seen (both racers) were even shorter than me, putting them at 5 ft or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
ask her to picture her shiney new bike on the ground because it's likely to end up there (a few times). With a used bike, that's not so heart wrenching. She'll need to be able to pick it up herself too. She won't outgrow her bike within a year unless she's an anomoly - even a 250 or a 500 will take a good year and a lot of miles before you're using it to 100% capacity.

Meanwhile, have her go sit on bikes - any of them, all of them.
SO IMPORTANT!! You may think it wont ever happen, but one day, you wanna go out on your own, nice weather, peaceful ride, etc. and something happens and you drop that bike, either just on the ground or on your body, you better be able to do something about it. Adrenaline plays a huge part in this kinda thing too but Im a firm beleiver if you cant pick it up by yourself, back it up, etc. you might not need to be riding it. You never know where you might find yourself. Before I started riding I actually started lifting weights and building some strength, to make it a little safer for me should something happen. I know not everyone can do this, but it doesnt make a bad goal to strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
shes in your signature
I had to go look.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by annawil View Post
Yup, but balancing a bike on one tippy toe just isn't and ideal situation for me. I'm fully willing to admit that I tend to over think situations being a Safety Engineer and all. But, it really does all come down to me not being comfortable with the situation unless I can get at least the balls of my feet down. Tippy tip toes just feels too unstable for me.
Gotcha, I don't do the one tiptoe either, I can do 2 tiptoes on my bike now, but its light and narrow, I can't touch the floor without my boots. Now on a heavier bike, I'll want the balls of my feet down, or at least halfway btwn that and tip toe, which usually means some seat shaving for me.