Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I am never at the speeds or intensity at which I NEED to use my front brakes, at least not on the street. I can easily and lightly apply my rear brakes for all the stopping power I need on the street unless its an emergency situation.
Rae, your bike is a sports bike right?
If it is this isn't a good practice for you to do. A lot of people here wouldn't really say anything if you didn't use your rear brake, I'm in the "Use both brakes all the time camp".
By using the rear brake most the time, you're building connections from your brain to your right foot. But you're not building them to your right hand at the same rate.
You have to use both brakes all the time to train your brain, until you get to the point where you don't have to think about braking, when your body memory can take over. That way when things aren't going great you have time to worry about the car or deer running in front of you and not trying to think your way through using the front brake because it is an emergency.

If your bike is a cruiser with a rearward weight bias, you do need more rear brake and less front. But you still need both to stop as short as possible with the most control.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

yeah, not using the front is a good way to find yourself implanted into some car because you have no natural reaction to apply the front brakes that have most of the stopping power. Rear brake is jello, it has no stopping power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Thanks for the input guys, I am well aware of the ramifications, how much stopping power is available from each brake, the repercussions of too much and too little, and the fear that using the rear brake causes most people. I am also aware of proper braking technique and I utilize it when/if necessary, both street and track. Think what you like of brain patterns, keeping in mind I am a woman and my brain doesnt work like yours does.

Call me stubborn, but I ride my own ride, not the ride everyone else tells me to do.

*also the reason I dont typically tell anyone else how to brake.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, I am well aware of the ramifications, how much stopping power is available from each brake, the repercussions of too much and too little, and the fear that using the rear brake causes most people. I am also aware of proper braking technique and I utilize it when/if necessary, both street and track. Think what you like of brain patterns, keeping in mind I am a woman and my brain doesnt work like yours does.

Call me stubborn, but I ride my own ride, not the ride everyone else tells me to do.

*also the reason I dont typically tell anyone else how to brake.
A natural reaction has nothing to do with sex. It has all to do with how you have trained your brain to respond and it's natural tendency to do what it has been taught to do. Example: letting off the gas instead of throttle neutral or gasing it out in a slide is a basic noob response under crisis because it hasn't been taught to do that.

We aren't talking emotions here.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Think what you like of brain patterns, keeping in mind I am a woman and my brain doesnt work like yours does.
You are human right?

There's a reason learning involves practice.......
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I rarely use the rear brake unless stopping hard or on gravel. My rear brake is VERY prone to locking up even on light pressure. I probably need to adjust my brake lever. I also prefer to adjust my speed before entering curves but will trail brake with the front if additional braking is necessary

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
A natural reaction has nothing to do with sex. It has all to do with how you have trained your brain to respond and it's natural tendency to do what it has been taught to do. Example: letting off the gas instead of throttle neutral or gasing it out in a slide is a basic noob response under crisis because it hasn't been taught to do that.

We aren't talking emotions here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
You are human right?

There's a reason learning involves practice.......
Bwahahaha, guys seriously, preach at someone else. I know how to brake. I know how to use both. Trip you saw that first hand at Suches. That was a controlled front and rear brake application for stopping when I passed the place.

Got that? FRONT AND REAR. I also use the front profusely at the track when riding at higher speeds and to attempt the techniques the Awesome referred to for proper braking. I've been over this with all of my instructors at the track and those CR's I have as personal friends and not a one of them has an issue with my use of brakes as I use them properly when needed and in emergency situations. My preference is simply that, my preference.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
My preference is simply that, my preference.
Exactly, that's why we are saying it. Your preference can become a natural habit. It's just better to build positive tendencies. Which is why we are saying it's good to develop natural habits to use the front. We can all learn better habits Rae, I know there are things I need to work on and that people bust on me for doing as well.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Bwahahaha, guys seriously, preach at someone else. I know how to brake. I know how to use both. Trip you saw that first hand at Suches. That was a controlled front and rear brake application for stopping when I passed the place.

Got that? FRONT AND REAR. I also use the front profusely at the track when riding at higher speeds and to attempt the techniques the Awesome referred to for proper braking. I've been over this with all of my instructors at the track and those CR's I have as personal friends and not a one of them has an issue with my use of brakes as I use them properly when needed and in emergency situations. My preference is simply that, my preference.
So what you are saying is that even though your "preference" or opinion goes against ALL known established principles and values, you still have a right to have it, post it and defend it on the forum? Hmmmmm..... interesting. Just fucking with you Rae! I will say this though, you and several others have gotten on my case for using the fact that I'm a "hoodrat" to explain why I feel or think differently than you all do... Well you're not exactly slow with the "I'm a woman so I do thinks differently" excuse.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
So what you are saying is that even though your "preference" or opinion goes against ALL known established principles and values, you still have a right to have it, post it and defend it on the forum? Hmmmmm..... interesting. Just fucking with you Rae! I will say this though, you and several others have gotten on my case for using the fact that I'm a "hoodrat" to explain why I feel or think differently than you all do... Well you're not exactly slow with the "I'm a woman so I do thinks differently" excuse.

Dont start dude, thats probably the first time I've ever used that one...everyone has the right to their own thoughts and opinions, it is the internet after all...