Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell > Cage Tech

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Well, I wish you luck.

I'm not one to trust liquid metal, JB Weld, etc. on things like cranks. I'd be dropping the oil pan to swap in another crank, but that's just me.

Hopefully everything works good when you get it all put back together. Otherwise, you'll be going through most of this work again.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #22
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Well, I wish you luck.

I'm not one to trust liquid metal, JB Weld, etc. on things like cranks. I'd be dropping the oil pan to swap in another crank, but that's just me.

Hopefully everything works good when you get it all put back together. Otherwise, you'll be going through most of this work again.
that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

If you are intent on saving the crank you could try to weld it and have the keyway machined out again, but even that would probably either deform the crank, weaken it or both, and you would have to remove it from the block or destroy the seals. Either way you really need to repair it correctly. The liquid metal or JB weld will last a few miles, but either way it will start to wear pretty fast pretty soon
Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #24
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
This stuff isn't like cheap Walmart JB Weld. It's expensive, hard to find, and many Miata owners have used it with much success. I don't understand why it won't harden, however.

You aren't really relying on the liquid metal; for the most part, it's just there to keep things in place during reassembly. They key is keeping the whole assembly properly torqued down. Neglecting that allows the crank bolt to back out and the cog/pulley to shift on the crank nose.

Quote:
The hell I will. If this doesn't work, I'll either sell it as a non-running roller or replace the engine with a warrantied, remanufactured unit. Dropping/replacing the crank can cost as much as replacing the entire long block.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Yeah, Loctite 660 doesn't fuck around. They now sponsor Racing for our Heros - they did a demo of that stuff for us. Incredible.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #26
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/LoctiteCrank1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Looks like you fucked up the front cover housing. Better hope that crank seal doesn't leak.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Let's brainstorm, again.

I finally got the car running last weekend. It stuttered a bit as it choked down the last bit of old gas sitting in the lines (I drained the tank, installed a new fuel filter, and re-filled with fresh, ZERO-ETHANOL fuel), but it now idles smoothly and responds normally to throttle inputs.

One problem: use of the power windows, headlights, wipers, etc causes the engine to stumble. This was an issue before I parked the car two years ago, too, only then it would cause the alternator belt to scream as well. I've since installed a new alternator (had it tested before I left the store) and new belts. No more screeching, but it still makes the engine stumble.

Why?
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #29
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Let's brainstorm, again.

I finally got the car running last weekend. It stuttered a bit as it choked down the last bit of old gas sitting in the lines (I drained the tank, installed a new fuel filter, and re-filled with fresh, ZERO-ETHANOL fuel), but it now idles smoothly and responds normally to throttle inputs.

One problem: use of the power windows, headlights, wipers, etc causes the engine to stumble. This was an issue before I parked the car two years ago, too, only then it would cause the alternator belt to scream as well. I've since installed a new alternator (had it tested before I left the store) and new belts. No more screeching, but it still makes the engine stumble.

Why?
Have you checked your grounds?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Ground, make sure you have a good one.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote