Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon D View Post
Blackstone carbon fiber...I found some used ones for $1600 but I'm a bit leery...
Pimp.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

CF wheels are way cool, but you don't wanna be the fool riding it 3 years from now when some stress fracture from a pot hole lets go...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Well, my stock shock was valved and sprung by Race Tech. I have an email in asking if the stock size spring fits their shock... I'll probably call Louise down at RT and see if he knows... As far as valving goes...well, I never knew that you got a shock valved for a specific weight but I'll certainly look into it. Thanks. FWIW the Matris shock in in sale for about $700 so if I have to buy a $100 spring so be it.
Valving needs to match the spring. The stiffer the spring, the more rebound damping you need.

The thing about Elka is, orders go straight to the manufacturer, so they valve it for you before shipping it out. With Ohlins, 9 times out of 10 you're just buying something out of a retailer's warehouse. So it's up to you to get it re-valved by a shop or tuner of your choice.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Valving needs to match the spring. The stiffer the spring, the more rebound damping you need.

The thing about Elka is, orders go straight to the manufacturer, so they valve it for you before shipping it out. With Ohlins, 9 times out of 10 you're just buying something out of a retailer's warehouse. So it's up to you to get it re-valved by a shop or tuner of your choice.
I ordered the ttx cartrige and shock combo and they had it set up for my weight. Granted this was through an online dealer and not ohlins directly.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Who was the dealer? Did they specifically say they re-valved it? For most places they either don't know how, or don't want to take the extra time cuz they figure the customer won't care. Also I've heard a few people say "oh the customer can just set the clickers to his preference, we don't need to revalve it"
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Who was the dealer? Did they specifically say they re-valved it? For most places they either don't know how, or don't want to take the extra time cuz they figure the customer won't care. Also I've heard a few people say "oh the customer can just set the clickers to his preference, we don't need to revalve it"
extreme sport bikes in indiana (or superbikes, I dont remember which and am too lazy to go look) I am not sure about the shock being revalved but there is a heavier spring and for the front they just sent the cartriges to be installed in the fork tubes.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
If the shock was set up by race tech no need in a newer one unless its a few yrs old and needs arebuild.

I think most of these places now will put in the spring for your weight. I had all that done with my ohlins, but also saw that with penske and the racetech guys. I ordered springs for my futura and on the website I had to ener my weight, type of bike and riding style and it would give you the the "proper" weight springs.
Yep! I know that a few guys here aren't RT fans but they have done all of my bikes since the early 90s and I swear by them. For the money, you can't do any better imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote