Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Disgusting

If the Science Guy passes out and nobody tweets it, did it happen?
By Brett Michael Dykes

Last night in front of an audience of hundreds at a presentation at the University of Southern California, TV personality Bill Nye — popularly known as the "Science Guy" — collapsed midsentence as he walked toward a podium. Early indications are that Nye is OK, but what's odd about the incident isn't so much Nye's slight health setback as the crowd's reaction. Or, more precisely, its nonreaction, according to several accounts.

It appears that the students in attendance, rather than getting up from their seats to rush to Nye's aid, instead pulled out their mobile devices to post information about Nye's loss of consciousness.

Alastair Fairbanks, a USC senior in attendance for Nye's presentation, told the Los Angeles Times that "nobody went to his aid at the very beginning when he first collapsed — that just perplexed me beyond reason." The student added, "Instead, I saw students texting and updating their Twitter statuses. It was just all a very bizarre evening."

[Rewind: Joe Biden's quick response to onstage fainting]

Indeed, a cursory search on Twitter revealed a virtual play-by-play account of the incident. One student wrote, "Bill Nye tripped on his computer cord while speaking at USC, was out for abt 5 secs, got back up, spoke w/ slurred speech and fainted."

According to the school's student news outlet, the Daily Trojan, Nye asked, "What happened? How long was I out?" when he regained consciousness. Briskly picking up his humorous persona, he added, "Wow, that was crazy. I feel like Lady Gaga or something." Nye's publicity team didn't immediately respond to The Lookout's request for comment on the episode.

[Rewind: NBA coach faints at practice]

Still, in the annals of the digital public's civic indifference, the Nye incident is nowhere near as disturbing as another episode reported in New Orleans earlier this week, which oddly enough also involved a humorist. Anthony Barre, a New Orleans man popular for his acid-tongued comic performances on YouTube using the handle "Messy Mya," was murdered on the streets of the city's 7th Ward — the historically Creole neighborhood chronicled in the HBO series "Treme." As he lay dying, witnesses at the scene took to the Internet to chronicle the tragedy in real time, even posting photos of his body lying in a pool of blood.

Here's how the Times-Picayune's Brendan McCarthy described the incident:

Moments after gunshots roared through the 7th Ward on Sunday night, a lone snapshot appeared on the Internet.

In it, a 22-year-old man is lying cheek to the ground, crimson pooling around his neck. His eyes are closed, his torso curled.

Chaos explodes around him, with the arms of others pressed to the back of his head. And someone is holding a cell phone just inches from his face.

This is how the world learned of Messy Mya's death.

Prior to this week's episodes, perhaps the best-known incident of youthful digital passivity in the face of danger was the September 2007 tasing of University of Florida student Andrew Meyer at a speech delivered by Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry. That episode immortalized the expression "Don't tase me, bro!" The crowd of onlookers trying to capture the encounter on their cellphone cameras later prompted Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert to imagine the internal monologue of a bored-looking kid seated next to Meyer thusly: "He's thinking, 'I wish they'd stop tasing this guy, so I can get home and watch him being tased on YouTube.' "

(Photo of Nye: AP/Michael O'Koniewski)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-did-it-happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Sad. So many stupid people allowed to live.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Shocking.

Not really.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
CasterTroy

exactly....NOT suprising at all these days
Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Place a Bill Nye in a room with a couple of hundred USC students, and a power cord. Once the room is closed and we have no knowledge of what is happening, Bill Nye is at any moment both conscious and unconscious.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Place a Bill Nye in a room with a couple of hundred USC students, and a power cord. Once the room is closed and we have no knowledge of what is happening, Bill Nye is at any moment both conscious and unconscious.
quantum physics twisted

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Prior to this week's episodes, perhaps the best-known incident of youthful digital passivity in the face of danger was the September 2007 tasing of University of Florida student Andrew Meyer at a speech delivered by Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry. That episode immortalized the expression "Don't tase me, bro!" The crowd of onlookers trying to capture the encounter on their cellphone cameras later prompted Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert to imagine the internal monologue of a bored-looking kid seated next to Meyer thusly: "He's thinking, 'I wish they'd stop tasing this guy, so I can get home and watch him being tased on YouTube.' "
This part is crap and I don't really see how the AP finds this analogous to the other two incidents.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Paul do you have a crush on this Brett Michael Dykes guy or something? I don't know why but everytime I see his name the morning coffee comes shooting out of my nose in a fit of convulsive laughter. Lesbian Poison fan club! FTMFW!!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I don't see the big deal. Spectators don't rush onto the ice to break up hockey fights, or to attend to the injured at a golf match. Why should they be expected to at a presentation?

There should be people on staff to respond..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by udman View Post
Paul do you have a crush on this Brett Michael Dykes guy or something? I don't know why but everytime I see his name the morning coffee comes shooting out of my nose in a fit of convulsive laughter. Lesbian Poison fan club! FTMFW!!!!!
Now I have cherry Pie stuck in my head.
Dont know if its FTW or FTL yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote